Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cultured Stone Fireplace

I have a large fireplace that is cultured stone I think. It has a shimmer to it. I have sanded and primed the Oak Mantel and surround. I am very traditional and I have no idea what color to paint it. The buffet is on the other wall which I primed also very large in size.This is in my dining area What do I do? help

tammy2532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:52 PM   #2

Cultured Stone Fireplace

UPLOADED some photos
Attached Thumbnails
Cultured Stone Fireplace-img_1185-1-.jpg   Cultured Stone Fireplace-img_1186-1-.jpg   Cultured Stone Fireplace-img_1187-1-.jpg  

tammy2532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
BSC

Cultured Stone Fireplace

Can you just remove the mantel? Then you can hang wall art or a mirror above the opening. I think it would make it a cozier feel. Your classic table and chairs mixed with a more rugged fireplace (without the mantel) would look really nice together, instead of the fireplace having the two styles (classic & rugged) itself.
BSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:57 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Cultured Stone Fireplace

deep taupe
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Cultured Stone Fireplace

I wouldn't do the buffet deep taupe, I would leave it white, or ivory, the mantel may look good in taupe, try a sample first.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:38 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Cultured Stone Fireplace

This is a really good challenge!!! My gut says that the mantel is to small for the stone surrounding kinda like someone added it as an after thought. I might try to do a paint finish on the mantel that will make it blend into the stone, not stand out. I so know what work you put into sanding and preping the buffet!!!!!!!!! From the pic I am seeing the room is of good size and you have a nice wood table.

My mind is jumping here so bear with me, Can the existing wood around your fireplace be removed without harming that wonderful stone?? The surround just does not feel right to me.

Have you considered any refinishing on the table??? something that will match the new finish you will have on the buffet? I do totally understand the difficulty on doing finishes on furniture so they will last. Saying that, matchy is not necessary!!!! Oh Man, I wish I was there, this is a great space and wonderful possibilities.

If you care to answer any of the above questions, I would LOVE to continue with this transformation if you like any of my ideas. These are just ideas and can be changed when the right direction is presented.

www.picturetrail.com/mickey51

Last edited by m1951mm; 09-03-2011 at 08:40 AM.
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
BSC

Cultured Stone Fireplace

Here's a photo I found from "The Bella Life Blog". Maybe it will give you a few ideas... The stone is about the same color as yours.
Attached Images

BSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
building and construction, general remodeling