Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

crown moulding and wood trip colors

If walls are yellow and/or off white color, and wooden trip is stained, can a linen white wide crown moulding be used?

Kasey Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

sorry . whats a wooden trip ,haven't heard that term

ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Kasey, an off-white crown molding is classic. If you want the colors to "pop", paint the ceiling in a let-down of the wall color. (1/2 or 1/4 the formula)

If the same room has a stained/varnished molding strip, I would recommend painting it the same color as the crown to maintain uniformity in your decorating.

I will have on my tombstone, "There's no counting for taste." That is to say, if you like it stained, it's up to you; there are no rules.
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paint View Post
Kasey, an off-white crown molding is classic. If you want the colors to "pop", paint the ceiling in a let-down of the wall color. (1/2 or 1/4 the formula)

If the same room has a stained/varnished molding strip, I would recommend painting it the same color as the crown to maintain uniformity in your decorating.

I will have on my tombstone, "There's no counting for taste." That is to say, if you like it stained, it's up to you; there are no rules.
Excuse the err with "trip" - should be trim. But, I am trying to get some input before we completely repaint our home. The interior trim is now stained in a pecan color, and the wood floors are pecan color, but I really didn't want to have the same on crown moulding. I like the linen white with my wall colors chosen. Just trying to determine if the white around the ceiling would be too drastic. Thanks for feedback.
Kasey Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I also tend to like trim that all matches but there is no reason your crown has to do so. It may look a bit out of place if window, door, baseboards are all pecan. And linen white will look yellowed against a white ceiling.

I think if you want to paint it the idea to make the ceiling, wall and crown a design element a great one. The ceiling can either be lighter or darker than the walls but the same color. In other words you just change the value. Or you could pick a value of a color scheme color that is different from the walls. Then I would select a white for the trim. Linen white may be the right choice but be sure you borrow an off white color fan or get a sampler from a real paint store.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:11 AM   #6
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

ok what i think looks nice and i have been doing this a lot lately is painting the ceiling and the crown the same color in a flat .in your case linen white.it really gives a nice look.walls flat or satin in you color choice ,and pecan trim .

ltd is offline   Reply With Quote