DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Crown Moulding Paint Peeling

16K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  joecaption 
#1 ·
Hello. I have been working on remodeling the bathroom. It is near to complete. The crown moulding has been up since October but is rapidly starting to peel all over the place. I used Latex Olympic Paint. The crown moulding was the material that is suppose to be water proof and has the fake wood trim covering on it. I used the same paint on the wainscoting. The drywall is used moister proof drywall with enamel bathroom grade paint. I want to redo the crown moulding. I am not happy with the results of the corners and plus its peeling, not sure if its the crown moulding material causing it to peel or the paint. The wainscoting is not peeling at all. I am also putting new trim up around the window. It is wood that has the white covering. The wainscoting is pvc/plastic.

So is it safe to use the latex paint on the trim around the window? Or should I buy enamel paint for the trim and the new crown moulding. The crown moulding I will be buying will be the wood that you see at lowes with the "pre-primed/ready to paint". See pictures, its terrible!! :mad:

P.S. not sure if this is the right spot, but I put a shower surround in 4 piece. 3 walls and tub. I caulked everything with 100% Silicon caulking 3 hours shower ready. The caulking is holding up everywhere except in the big wall the left and right edges where the other piece join. Is is seperating and I keep pushing it back in and it stays but comes back out have no clue :(

Yes there is a fan. It is on everytime someone is showering. I was thinking moister but the fan is always on and vents outside.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Hello. I have been working on remodeling the bathroom. It is near to complete. The crown moulding has been up since October but is rapidly starting to peel all over the place. I used Latex Olympic Paint. The crown moulding was the material that is suppose to be water proof and has the fake wood trim covering on it. I used the same paint on the wainscoting. The drywall is used moister proof drywall with enamel bathroom grade paint. I want to redo the crown moulding. I am not happy with the results of the corners and plus its peeling, not sure if its the crown moulding material causing it to peel or the paint. The wainscoting is not peeling at all. I am also putting new trim up around the window. It is wood that has the white covering. The wainscoting is pvc/plastic.

So is it safe to use the latex paint on the trim around the window? Or should I buy enamel paint for the trim and the new crown moulding. The crown moulding I will be buying will be the wood that you see at lowes with the "pre-primed/ready to paint". See pictures, its terrible!! :mad:

P.S. not sure if this is the right spot, but I put a shower surround in 4 piece. 3 walls and tub. I caulked everything with 100% Silicon caulking 3 hours shower ready. The caulking is holding up everywhere except in the big wall the left and right edges where the other piece join. Is is seperating and I keep pushing it back in and it stays but comes back out have no clue :(

Yes there is a fan. It is on everytime someone is showering. I was thinking moister but the fan is always on and vents outside.
If the crown moulding you installed has the smooth pvc wrap over it it's basically wrapped in plastic. Plastic is extremely difficult to paint if you don't prep it right. At this point what you need to do is figure out if it's worth ripping that stuff down and installing new or trying to repair what you have. If you are going to repair what you have, it obviously needs scraped.
I would wipe the crown moulding down with a wax and grease remover (it's stinky stuff). Then I would use an all purpose primer such as 1-2-3 or Sherwin Williams PrepRite Bonding Primer. Then apply your finish coat. The wainscoating may be a little more forgiving. If it is the same stuff I used in my bathroom, I painted right over it and it's been two years with no problems.

#4 ·
Ryan, that looks like a combination of moisture and bonding failure. A fan minimizes the damage that moisture can do, it doesn't eliminate it. I would take a piece of 100, maybe even 80, and give it a good sanding. Wipe it well with a damp rag to remove any soapy residue. (you might see the paper grit getting clogged with residue, resembling waxy buildup). Then apply a bonding primer like Zinsser 123 (for the synthetic surface), then apply two coats of a satin (that's what it appears to be now) from a regular paint store, BM, SW, etc. Olympic may not quality enough for that environment and is allowing steam to penetrate. That is steam damage.
Is the wainscot and crown made of the same material?

#5 ·
The wainscoting is plastic/pvc moister proof and water proof. The crown molding is suppose to also be moister and water proof. I am not sure what the crown molding is made out of. Its like a hard foam material. and then the put a laminate covering over it with fake wood grain. I used the Bullseye primer before painting this material.

#7 ·
I'd remove it and toss it. Use real wood next time, prime with Zinzeer 123 and Use enamel paint.
Not likly your going to get paint to stay stuck to that material.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.