Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via ICQ to JDuc Send a message via AIM to JDuc Send a message via MSN to JDuc Send a message via Yahoo to JDuc

Creating a clean, sharp caulk line?

How do you create a super clean and sharp caulk line?

For instance, we painted a bunch of rooms with a non-white color. Even though we taped off the baseboards, some of the paint seeped through and has created a not so clean and sharp caulking line.

I've purchased one of those little tools that's supposed to create a sharp line, but since we have textured walls, it just pushes the caulk up into the textured parts meaning...it's not a clean and sharp line.

We've thought about taping off the paint, caulking, then pulling the tape...but...well....when you have this much to do you start to think there has to be a better option out there.

JDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Can you post a photo?

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:24 PM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to JDuc Send a message via AIM to JDuc Send a message via MSN to JDuc Send a message via Yahoo to JDuc

Old 01-15-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
Pro Painter

Rewards Points: 250

The deeper the paint color, the more difficult it is to cut a straight looking line. On your project, textured walls just make it that much more difficult.

Acutally, it's not that difficult, but it's time consuming. With a project like yours, I'd get it to the point where it is now and just cut the trim freehand.

If you don't have that much experience, get two brushes and just go back and forth with the red and the white. Once it's where it is now, it doesn't take that much longer.

another option is to lay a fresh bead of caulk in that corner, eliminating the texure and it gives you a fresh, smooth pallete to work with.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:34 PM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

If I am interpreting that picture correctly, I believe I would lay another bead of caulk (it doesn't look like it's enough from here), and paint the caulk wall color
That should bring the "wall" down slightly into "trim" territory color-wise, but the result is a smoother line

This happens with textured walls when the texture doesn't smooth out as it approaches the trim, you've got to move the line a little to keep it visually straighter
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:14 AM   #6

We ended up getting some small art brushes and some trim paint. I went back and forth like mentioned above ALL OVER THE HOUSE.

Took a while, but it looks MUCH better now. I can only imaging what our friends would have thought....obsessive compulsive much?!

Thanks everyone!