Crazy Expensive Paint - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2014, 09:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Crazy expensive paint

With Aura, Duration, Cashmere and the such being around $60, don't know why I felt insulted when Valspar introduces a paint to compete at $44 (Lowe's and Ace), but I was. Guess I felt that the whole spectrum of consumer paints would move up to that price point for the so called top-of the-line consumer paints. Going to force a lot of people to HD Behr ultra.
The only saving deal was Sherwin Williams quarterly 40% sale that dropped Superpaint to about $32.
BUT Ace, to launch their new $44 flat Valspar Optimus Top-of-the -line paint, will have a buy one, get one free (BOGO sale) on May 17th. (Check with your store to confirm.) OK, so that drops a flat super premium paint, which is designed to compete with Aura, down to $22.
My plan is to do a face off. Superpaint versus Optimus.
Valspar apparently is in Ace because it bought their paint manufacturing plant.

Advertisement

bobjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 296

Crazy expensive paint

Many so-called "premium" products are priced like this. Aura retails for over $70. There are less expensive choices which will perform just fine.

Advertisement

Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,304

Crazy expensive paint

I agree with Will22. I've been at this painting gig for 35 years now and my go-to paint for inside and out has been SuperPaint. I currently get it for about $30 per gallon so if you weigh how much it has gone up in 35 years for ME, well, it's not so bad. I do remember it being around $10 - $12 per gallon many, many years ago. Just remember that all paint stores have paints in a wide array of pricing options, from $70 on down to $15 - $20.

On a side note, for us pros it's a challenge convincing customers that paint is no longer $10 per gallon. It has gone up like everything else.

Last edited by Gymschu; 05-06-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:57 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

Crazy expensive paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjax View Post
With Aura, Duration, Cashmere and the such being around $60, don't know why I felt insulted when Valspar introduces a paint to compete at $44 (Lowe's and Ace), but I was. Guess I felt that the whole spectrum of consumer paints would move up to that price point for the so called top-of the-line consumer paints. Going to force a lot of people to HD Behr ultra.
The only saving deal was Sherwin Williams quarterly 40% sale that dropped Superpaint to about $32.
BUT Ace, to launch their new $44 flat Valspar Optimus Top-of-the -line paint, will have a buy one, get one free (BOGO sale) on May 17th. (Check with your store to confirm.) OK, so that drops a flat super premium paint, which is designed to compete with Aura, down to $22.
My plan is to do a face off. Superpaint versus Optimus.
Valspar apparently is in Ace because it bought their paint manufacturing plant.

good luck with that
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,692

Crazy expensive paint

You think these paints are pricey call and ask about Fine Paints of Europe. We are fast to throw the blame for prices at the paint companies. And believe me they aren't going broke. But some of the blame needs to be thrown toward the government also with the new regulations concerning VOC's and other formulations have also had a big impact on pricing.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (05-15-2014)
Old 05-06-2014, 10:45 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,070

Crazy expensive paint

I will take the $25 contractor line from Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore over any line from Behr or Valspar.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matthewt1970 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-07-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #7

Crazy expensive paint

Matthew,What about Pro Mar 200 versus Superpaint? For $6 more.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #8

Crazy expensive paint

Chrisn, Are you saying the only two paint companies in America that are CAPABLE of making a GREAT paint are SW and BM? Both of them make paint that is not great, like HGTV at SW and BEN at BM. Guess anyone can make average paint, but can any other company make a Great paint if that was their objective.
It's like saying, I know a car company can make an average car at a lower price point, but are they capable of making a luxury car. Like, can Honda, Toyota, GM make a luxury car, if they tried?
Old 05-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

Crazy expensive paint

Quote:
Chrisn, Are you saying the only two paint companies in America that are CAPABLE of making a GREAT paint are SW and BM? Both of them make paint that is not great, like HGTV at SW and BEN at BM. Guess anyone can make average paint, but can any other company make a Great paint if that was their objective.
It's like saying, I know a car company can make an average car at a lower price point, but are they capable of making a luxury car. Like, can Honda, Toyota, GM make a luxury car, if they tried?

No, but I WAS saying that to compare Aura with anything Valspar makes is ludicrus
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-08-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,692

Crazy expensive paint

Yes but Ford is not going to sell the Lincoln for the same price as the focus. If you want Aura quality, buy Aura. I have used both pro mar and Ben and had no problems with either.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:49 PM   #11

Crazy expensive paint

Don't tell me. Call up Valspar and tell them. They are making the statement. No worries I do it for you...a test, I mean. Focus price? Not hardly. It's expensive as *ell.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:17 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,070

Crazy expensive paint

Quote:
Matthew,What about Pro Mar 200 versus Superpaint? For $6 more.
Diminishing returns in my opinion especially now as Pro Mar 200 seems thicker than it used to be and can be thinned out a tad for extra mileage.

Quote:
Don't tell me. Call up Valspar and tell them. They are making the statement. No worries I do it for you...a test, I mean. Focus price? Not hardly. It's expensive as *ell.
They can claim anything they want much like the paint and primer in one.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:45 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 252

Crazy expensive paint

I've used a few FPE products...

BEST damn stuff I've ever used. 3 yrs ago, a Qt. of their Eurolux Matte was $45.
The Hollandlac Brilliant (Oil...gloss) is ridiculous nice. You seriously haven't painted if you haven't used stuff of this caliber...IMO.

Faron
Faron79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:37 AM   #14
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,314

Crazy expensive paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
Diminishing returns in my opinion...
^^THIS.

It applies to just about every material/product choice and any project you might take on in any aspect of home improvement or remodeling.

The Chevrolet level product used as recommended with reasonable care and proper prep will do a VERY nice job. The increment paid for the Cadillac level product (or even the Mercedes) might even be worth the cost increment to use it in one or two public rooms but probably won't even be noticed by any but the really informed/experienced.

But! but if any of them aren't used as recommended by their maker with reasonable care and the proper prep (which too many paying high product prices seem to hope the product will make up for them not doing) it's all going to be a complete waste.

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 05-15-2014 at 07:39 AM.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:27 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,548

Crazy expensive paint

Quote:
Exactly. There is no such thing as "Sherwin Williams paint", in the same sense that there is no such thing as a "Ford" car - there is no Ford car that doesn't have a model name, and it's the model name as much as anything that determines the quality and features. It makes no sense saying "Chevrolet cars are better than Ford" when you don't know if they're going to show up with a Chevette or Corvette.

Advertisement

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace , aura , lowe's , superpaint , valspar