Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Angry

Crayola markers bleeding through primer

Basement project, finally have some drywall up, mudding, tape, sanded, smooth and all ready for primer. My kids thought it would be great to create a temporary gallery down there, so there are plenty of waist high drawings with Crayola markers over unprimed bare drywall and sanded compound.

Didnt think too much of it and thought the primer would cover it.
Wrong!

I have Zinsser Bulls Eye 123, tried a few coats but it all still bleeds through. Ive seen a few options for removing it, but now I have a few different scenarios that will probably require different solutions:

Marker on bare drywall: Mr Clean magic eraser takes off a bit of the top layer of paper with the marker but I think a coat of primer back over it will work. Hopefully. Any other suggestions?

Marker on sanded/smooth compound: Can carefully sand off the marker from the joint compound, but I'll have to probably reapply compound and re-sand so its smooth again. Any other suggestions?

Marker bleeding through primer: On a few sections of the wall, I have unsuccesfully applied several coats of primer over marker but it still bleeds through. So what are my options here? Sanding doesnt seem to work well and the marker just continues to bleed through each coat. Ive read shellac might do the trick, is that a good idea? So do I spray shellac on the troubled areas, sand it, then re-prime it with Zinsser? Any other suggestions?

Greatly appreciate any advice.

muda7676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Crayons are basically a paraffin wax, i believe .Markers are either a waterbase if washable, or alcohol based.
A non waterbase primer will be needed- an oil like Cover Stain or alcohol based one like BIN pigmented shellac. For the final coats to look even, I would ( if you haven't already) prime all the new stuff with a good reg waterborne primer- and let the markers bleed. then spot prime with above in those areas, reprime over that with what you did the rest of the wall with to get even porosity, and if you see no bleeding you are good to finish.
Make sure you know the difference between bleeding- where it is chemically coming through the film, and just not covering and showing through.

Last edited by Brushjockey; 02-28-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brushjockey For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-29-2012), muda7676 (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #3

Thanks for the input.

There are no crayons, I think they are all the waterbased/washable markers but there might be a few permanent marker spots.

When I paint over them with 123, I'm pretty sure they do bleed chemically, even tint the primer surrounding it. A few brush strokes can actually get the marker on the brush and back in the can.

So you recommend I:
1. go about priming everything with zin 123, let it bleed through, let it dry...
2. touch up with a spray can of Zinsser B-I-N on the troubled spots, let that dry
3. reapply Zinsser 123?

Do I need to lightly sand between 2 and 3 or no?
Old 02-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Crayons are basically a paraffin wax, i believe .Markers are either a waterbase if washable, or alcohol based.
A non waterbase primer will be needed- an oil like Cover Stain or alcohol based one like BIN pigmented shellac. For the final coats to look even, I would ( if you haven't already) prime all the new stuff with a good reg waterborne primer- and let the markers bleed. then spot prime with above in those areas, reprime over that with what you did the rest of the wall with to get even porosity, and if you see no bleeding you are good to finish.
Make sure you know the difference between bleeding- where it is chemically coming through the film, and just not covering and showing through.
Thanks for the input.

There are no crayons, I think they are all the waterbased/washable markers but there might be a few permanent marker spots.

When I paint over them with 123, I'm pretty sure they do bleed chemically, even tint the primer surrounding it. A few brush strokes can actually get the marker on the brush and back in the can.

So you recommend I:
1. go about priming everything with zin 123, let it bleed through, let it dry...
2. touch up with a spray can of Zinsser B-I-N on the troubled spots, let that dry
3. reapply Zinsser 123?

Do I need to lightly sand between 2 and 3 or no?
Old 02-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,320

Just go over it with an oil based primer and be done with it in one pass.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
But I have about 10 gallons of Zin 123. Are you saying just spot it with oil based primer then recover with Zin 123? If I dont, wont it be uneven when I go to paint?

Can I go from latex to oil to latex primer without any sanding?
Old 02-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 516

Sherwin williams ProBlock will work with one coat and its water base.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #8
Rubbin walls since'79

Once again our friend Joe is giving fairly poor info.
You have exactly the right idea. Sanding would only be needed if it felt rough. That said it isn't a bad idea in general to give a quick light overall sand to the walls after priming to get a smoother finish. All the primers were meant to be top coated , so you have no adhesion problems. The 123 is a great product, but won't stop the stain.
I don't know about the pro block- but it sounds like you already have the 123- so the only additional thing you need is the rattle can of BIN or Cover Stain.

Last edited by Brushjockey; 02-28-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brushjockey For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (02-29-2012)
Old 02-29-2012, 04:10 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,120

Listen to brush and forget Mr Joe's advise
I am surprised he did not just say to tear out the wall and replace it
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (02-29-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #10

I am having the same problem with "washable" markers. I'm curious if the B-I-N is going to do the trick. I used 3 coats of the 123 primer and it came through every coat. I went back to the store and asked the guy what I should do. He told me I should get Dutch Boy Platinum because that would cover marker. I'm not so sure though being this is washable and not permanent. We also had permanent marker on the wall too and the primer covered that right up. I didn't want to pay the $30+ dollars for paint that may or may not work so I bought the $6 can of spray B-I-N. I shot that at all the spots and it appears to still be showing through. Just waiting for that to dry now to throw another coat of 123 at it and crossing my fingers that it is just "showing" through the B-I-N and not actually "bleeding" through that too...Never thought washable marker would be such a problem or we would probably have skipped it in the mural we are now trying to cover
tikitorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 3,320

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home...tings/primers/

Worked for me many times on kids rooms with markers, crayons and old plaster that keeps bleeding brown stains.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #12
paper hanger and painter

The Bin will work, you might be able to still see it but it will be sealed
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
tikitorch (06-29-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I have been warned not to comment on opinion anymore. And you know? If it works in the Virginias? I know longer care. More power to them people.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:32 AM   #14
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I have been warned not to comment on opinion anymore. And you know? If it works in the Virginias? I know longer care. More power to them people.

I will no longer comment either, I think the moonshine down there must be good stuff
Old 06-29-2012, 04:47 AM   #15
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I will no longer comment either, I think the moonshine down there must be good stuff
I guess and thank God I do not have to travel every inch of this country anymore. I can skip the Virginias. I just hope I can find a warm, fuzzy, and graceful way to point out some advice could hurt people's projects or even diminish the value of their homes. Otherwise the moderators will yank my well thought post again.

It still seems to me that one of this site's real strengths is policing itself and protecting those seeking advice from village idjut type comments. If not, I can find other things to do. I hope.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement, drywall, marker, primer, wall