Cracks In New Ceiling Paint/primer - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2014, 05:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cracks in new ceiling paint/primer

Long time visitor, first time poster here. Hoping someone may be able to help me to get the bottom of this.

I recently purchased a foreclosed home with ugly popcorn ceilings. Immediately after closing, we scraped the popcorn texture down. Once the popcorn had been removed, we applied a knockdown texture (sheet rock wall and ceiling texture).

We let the new texture dry for several drys before priming (kilz water based primer/sealer) and painting (behr premium plus interior ceiling flat).

We used a roller with a 1 1/4 nap for most of the ceilings. A day after priming and painting several bedrooms, we noticed tiny "spider" cracks forming in certain spots around the rooms. If the cracks were picked at, we found that the paint pulled off the primer and texture as well. We hypothesized this was due to the high level of dust in the house and spent a day removing as much dust as possible and cleaning the ceilings.

The next day we primed a previously untouched spot of ceiling to test our dust theory. After letting the primer dry, we noticed just as many cracks as before. Additionally, there are several spots that look like the paint is chipping off the ceiling.

This essentially throws our dust theory out the window and leaves us wondering if our tools are incompatible. Much of the house only has the knockdown texture on the ceiling and has not been painted or primed. The texture on its own does not appear to have any cracks or imperfections. At this point we are also wondering if the job is worth saving or if we need to scrape the knockdown texture and start from square one.

Additionally, if the job can be saved, what steps should we take to repair cracked/peeling spots? Thanks for your time!

Advertisement

Last edited by oh'mike; 03-29-2014 at 09:05 AM. Reason: added spaces
gps217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,278

Biggest problem: USING BEHR PREMIUM PLUS That is all.

Advertisement

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:43 PM   #3

The primer cracked too without any paint on it.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,670

I would guess too big a roller nap contributed but only a guess because I don't know how thick the texture is. 3/4 is what I would suggest. Paint and primer, 2 different brands are doing this but not the texture suggests to me a problem with product or technique.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:05 PM   #5

The first time I painted I tried a 3/8 and then a 3/4 inch nap roller and it pulled some of the texture off. This was only three days after putting the texture on, so maybe it wasn't set yet.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:22 PM   #6

Yea really the roller shouldn't pull the texture off. Did you happen to use anything special to remove the popcorn? 3/8 then 3/4 then 1 1/4" that's a lot of paint.

Last edited by ToolSeeker; 03-28-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #7

Just water and a tiny amount of vinegar.

What is strange, is that the knockdown texture on the unprimed/un painted walls shows no sign of cracks and is stuck on there solid. It is only after the primer is applied that we have problems. Maybe the knockdown is sucking moisture out of the primer, causing the primer to crack and the knockdown to pull away from the wall.

Your input is appreciated. Thank you.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:02 PM   #8
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

me thinks it application error.imho there is not a interior texture that you cant do with a 1/2 inch nap cover . I think you have it loaded up with to much paint , but really how do I know with out seeing
ltd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:33 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

In your description, I don't see a primer between removing the popcorn and applying knockdown.

Did you do wet removal?

What type of mud mix for the texture?

If the texture is softening under paint, I would look for a problem there. Maybe something on the surface, or the condition of the mud mix prevented it from hardening properly.

Examine the texture, see how hard it is and how well its stuck.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
In your description, I don't see a primer between removing the popcorn and applying knockdown.

Did you do wet removal?

What type of mud mix for the texture?

If the texture is softening under paint, I would look for a problem there. Maybe something on the surface, or the condition of the mud mix prevented it from hardening properly.

Examine the texture, see how hard it is and how well its stuck.
We did not prime the wall before adding texture. I had read that this wasn't necessary.

When the texture itself is on the wall, it's stuck on there solid, doesn't crack, and can not be scraped off. It's only when we throw primer on top of it that we have issues with anything cracking or coming off.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:43 AM   #11
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,224

along with too big a nap and junk paint, you used junk primer also

IMO
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:53 AM   #12

What primer would you recommend?
Old 03-29-2014, 08:58 AM   #13

This first picture is a picture of what it looks like when the primer chips away:

This is a picture of primer cracking on the wall:
Old 03-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #14

How many coats of primer did you put on that looks really thick? On the second pic did you use fans or turn the heat up or do anything to make it dry faster?
Old 03-29-2014, 10:10 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 25

There are many reasons why this could be happening. I'm leaning towards a surface issue as jmayspaint had touched on. A problem be it trapped moisture or previous paint failure, not priming, plaster chalking under latex primer or whatever. At this point who cares. How are you going to get stuff to stick to that surface, and how far are you willing/want to go.?

If it were me, and I choose to repair as opposed to replacing . I'd be looking to get rid of the cracking, chipping areas completely. Get to the point of a dry, clean and dust free surface. Apply your favorite problem solver primer to the surface. Mine tends to be Cover Stain (rolling). Then continue with texture and finish coats (airless if possible)

Advertisement

Danahy is offline   Reply With Quote