Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

cracking / bubbling in old paint job

After taking off the wall paper, scrubbing the walls, ect.. I noticed this:

There are probably a half a dozen spots in the whole living room and kitchen where this is happening.

What is the most efficient / easiest way to solve this problem. If possible, I would prefer not to have to scrap everything, but if that is the only option, that is the only option. My wife thought perhaps we could just mud over it and call it good.

Thoughts?

splintner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

You cannot just mud over it and call it a day. Scraping it off and skim coating is one option. There is a product called Nu-Wall that might work over this situation if it does not involve the whole wall and only pieces of it. Ignore the easy installation videos and plan on having help. It is a surface and resin material. I have made it work and have a fairly sound background in working with membrane and resin materials. It is not as easy as the video makes it look. It is not cheap either.

There are textured vinyls you, or a paper hanger can apply but to me they look like tacky textured vinyls when all is done and not a real wall surface.

All said, if you have some sort of basic and widespread adhesion problem, you really cannot fix it by adding more stuff to the surface over it. We all wish at times their were such a product but not yet. You have to get under the problem and back to dealing with the surface. So scraping may be in your future.

How old is this paint job? If this was wallpaper over a vintage/antique paint you may have lead issues you need to abate when scraping off the paint. And you should wear tyvek or whatever coverings and definitely have a dust mask on. The good news is as DIYer you are not bound by the rigid constraints of lead abatement I as your contractor would be. Do dispose of it properly though please. We need no more dull children thanks to leaching heavy metals into water supplies.

Last edited by user1007; 05-10-2013 at 09:29 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

That looks like a heavy build up of paint. It's too thick and has to crack to allow vapor out. Scrape off what you can, skim coat and go from there.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
That looks like a heavy build up of paint. It's too thick and has to crack to allow vapor out. Scrape off what you can, skim coat and go from there.
Affirmative, I think this will be our project for this weekend.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
You cannot just mud over it and call it a day. Scraping it off and skim coating is one option. There is a product called Nu-Wall that might work over this situation if it does not involve the whole wall and only pieces of it. Ignore the easy installation videos and plan on having help. It is a surface and resin material. I have made it work and have a fairly sound background in working with membrane and resin materials. It is not as easy as the video makes it look. It is not cheap either.

There are textured vinyls you, or a paper hanger can apply but to me they look like tacky textured vinyls when all is done and not a real wall surface.

All said, if you have some sort of basic and widespread adhesion problem, you really cannot fix it by adding more stuff to the surface over it. We all wish at times their were such a product but not yet. You have to get under the problem and back to dealing with the surface. So scraping may be in your future.

How old is this paint job? If this was wallpaper over a vintage/antique paint you may have lead issues you need to abate when scraping off the paint. And you should wear tyvek or whatever coverings and definitely have a dust mask on. The good news is as DIYer you are not bound by the rigid constraints of lead abatement I as your contractor would be. Do dispose of it properly though please. We need no more dull children thanks to leaching heavy metals into water supplies.

That's because of our social policy, not our lead policy.
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
chrisn (05-11-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 02:43 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:

This is why I hate painting my rental property.

Tenants think we should just paint coat over coat.
pman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #7

Pman, it's not from multiple coats. It may be an area where the roller first touched the ceiling and was never evenly spread, or he stopped rolling and just lifted the roller off the ceiling. You see it sometimes in new construction with spraying buildups. It's the same with cut marks with pressure washing. When you roll, spray, or wash, you need to use a sweeping motion. When you use a broom, the broom is moving when it hits the ground and the movement is an arc, like a plane touching down and lifting off again. You don't just point a spray gun at the wall and pull the trigger. Does that make sense?
Old 05-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,058

Looks like old wallpaper glue still on the wall. The paint activated the glue and then the paint dried on top of it while the glue was still wet.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
Looks like old wallpaper glue still on the wall. The paint activated the glue and then the paint dried on top of it while the glue was still wet.

I would agree,

except for the glue part.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-11-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #10

One thing that would cause me to agree with you, and I thought about that, is the discoloration, unless that's a camera trick. The failed area has a marked higher elevation than the surrounding areas, which is why I say paint buildup. OP said he scrubbed the walls, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't miss spots that big. And, I'm assuming that if he is a follower of the site, he put a Gardz or Cover Stain barrier coat prior to the latex topcoat, which would block activation. Am I right OP?
Old 05-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I read the original post as not having applied any primer or paint yet. Did I miss something?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,236

Looks like a stipple texture that was really popular in the 20's and 30's. Likely it is plaster stipple and not drywall stipple which means it gets very hard and brittle over time. It has "alligatored" giving it that cracked glaze look. Two problems come to mind. One, it needs scraped off and then skim-coated. Two, once the skim coating is complete, you will have to try and match that stipple pattern which is very difficult to do with today's materials, i.e. joint compound. I would highly consider skim coating the whole area to make it all smooth.........that course of action may actually be easier than trying to spot-match that stipple pattern.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:05 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,058

Quote:
One thing that would cause me to agree with you, and I thought about that, is the discoloration, unless that's a camera trick. The failed area has a marked higher elevation than the surrounding areas, which is why I say paint buildup. OP said he scrubbed the walls, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't miss spots that big. And, I'm assuming that if he is a follower of the site, he put a Gardz or Cover Stain barrier coat prior to the latex topcoat, which would block activation. Am I right OP?
I was going to mention the discoloration as well. Something is definitely bleeding through the paint like wallpaper glue and whatever it is probably caused the paint to crack. That texture would make scrubbing the glue difficult at best and could easily lead to some spots here and there of glue still on the walls.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:06 AM   #14

We took the wallpaper off, and scrubbed, nothing else. This bubbling was found under the wallpaper. We have not applied gardz yet as we are waiting to address this issue first. As far as matching the texture of the wall, I am not sure we will be able to.. I think these areas are all high on the wall and hopefully will not show too much. I think we will plan on scraping and skim coat.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:02 AM   #15

Splintner, I was thinking that in your etc, you included finish painting as well, seriously? You're still in the early prep stages? You should have been a little more explanatory, drop the etc's.