DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

covering water spots on the bathroom ceiling

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Gymschu 
#1 ·
What's the best primer or spot blocker to use to cover this problem

#6 ·
Joe, no I HAVE NOT had 100% success with the B-I-N, or for that matter, any water-based stain blocker. I was thinking in terms of simplifying the process for a DIYer. As you know, it can be one heck of a mess trying to deal with KILZ, etc. especially if you get a brush or roller out, i.e. smell, solvent based cleanup, etc. I actually use UPShot more than anything for small ceiling stains. If they are bigger stains, I break out KILZ in a can or Cover Stain as you suggested.

#3 · (Edited)
Zinsser's B-I-N, comes in a spray can, Kilz in a spray can, Upshot in a spray can.........all have an upward shooting spray nozzle to make quick work of stains on the ceiling. Only thing is, you will then have to repaint the ceiling. Don't panic when you see the spots you covered flash through the new paint. This is natural & those spots take a little longer to dry than the rest of the ceiling.

Attachments

#5 ·
Gymschu, have you had 100% success using BIN for sealing water stains. I haven't. I've had a situation or two where it didn't block, and since I haven't used it for that. It may be that certain stains, and these were strong, require a second app. BIN does have a water component/vehicle, which could have something to do with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.