DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Covering Paint Splatter on California Ceiling

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Windows 
#1 ·
The previous owners of our home were terribly sloppy painters. I have been able to address this in nearly every room of our house thus far, however we now wish to repaint our master bedroom but there are numerous "paint marks" on the California textured ceiling. The ceiling is white plaster that was never primed and painted, so the wayward paint (brown and blue) has soaked into the plaster. What is the easiest way to rectify this? It is a large cathedral ceiling so painting the entire thing would be very difficult. Could I potentially use flat white spray paint to cover the 6-8" closest to the wall and cover up the errors?

Any recommendations are appreciated.

#2 ·
"""""The ceiling is white plaster that was never primed and painted, so the wayward paint (brown and blue) has soaked into the plaster.""""""""""

I am not sure what your saying here?

"""""Could I potentially use flat white spray paint to cover the 6-8" closest to the wall and cover up the errors? """"""""""""""

Are the walls painted?
I understand you have a knock down ceiling.

Maybe post a picture as so this post might be better understood?

#4 ·
There is no way around it. You will have to paint the whole ceiling because whatever touch up you do you will defiantly see them sticking out like a sore thumb even if you have the original paint that was used for the ceiling you will still see the touch up marks.

#6 ·
There are so many shades of white that even dead flat would show as the pigments used in that paint would be either deeper or lighter. As per being “not to old” well the paint can be on the wall for a week and when you reapply a touch up of the same exact paint used you will still see the difference in shade.

#7 ·
Give the touch-up a try. Ya never know. I have had mixed results with touchups. If it doesn't work then paint the whole ceiling. You would probably want to hit the brown and blue spots twice anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.