Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Cover-up Paint Roller Mark on Crows Foot Ceiling???

Hello. First off, thank you to those that are able to help with this question.

I have a crows foot ceiling that has never been painted and has a browm paint roller mark from where the previous owner hit the ceiling. I want to cover this so it is not an eyesore. My issue is this. Being that the ceiling has never been painted, it is the original drywall mud that was sculpted to create the crows foot look. How do I go about trying to cover this up? There are a few other areas where it looks like the previous owner was a little sloppy with the brush on cutting-in and I have taken some drywall mud and tried to cover these areas. The issue is that it looks like the drywall mud is different than what was previously applied. The drywall mud on the ceiling appears whiter than the new mud I just applied. I hope this makes sense. Anyone ever had this problem? If so, can you help??

LittleRascals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #2

I would just borrow a fanpack of color swatches from your local paintstore. They will loan it out to you for a day or so. Just go through the colors and find one that matches the color of the texture the closest. You will never get it perfect but you can come close enough that you can hide those mistakes with a coat or two of paint. Just dab a bit of paint on a brush or use a mini roller to apply the paint. I'm guessing that a flat off-white will be your ticket.

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #3

Rascal, I'm assuming you have an old house. It sounds like the ceiling is plaster, since it's white and it's never been painted. Old plaster was white so it didn't need painting. Short of finding a plaster/patching compound that will match, or painting the ceiling, anything you do will risk marring it further. Unfortunately, not all whites are "white", there's no uniform whiteness. So, unless you find something identical white, it will still stand out, probably less, but will. You might try some Goof-Off or denatured alcohol (basically the same) to remove the brown paint spot, but that's a long shot and might end up smearing it. If you try the solvent, first take a rough sandpaper and lightly sand the surface to break the skin to give the solvent some ability to penetrate. Be careful not to scratch too deeply into the ceilng. Someone may come along with a silver bullet. Good Luck.

Gymschu posted while I was writing, I was kind of hinting around that if it's that bothersome, painting the whole ceiling will probably be the only perfect resolution. Since you brought it up, I'll chime in again. Touching up with anything, even paint, is going to be a longshot, and may end up trading one imperfection for another, though less noticeable one, maybe. Sometimes I like bad news to dawn on people, that way they grow into the final unwanted resolution, and then you just agree that that's probably their best bet.

Last edited by jsheridan; 09-26-2011 at 02:21 PM.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Rascal, I'm assuming you have an old house. It sounds like the ceiling is plaster, since it's white and it's never been painted. Old plaster was white so it didn't need painting. Short of finding a plaster/patching compound that will match, or painting the ceiling, anything you do will risk marring it further. Unfortunately, not all whites are "white", there's no uniform whiteness. So, unless you find something identical white, it will still stand out, probably less, but will. You might try some Goof-Off or denatured alcohol (basically the same) to remove the brown paint spot, but that's a long shot and might end up smearing it. If you try the solvent, first take a rough sandpaper and lightly sand the surface to break the skin to give the solvent some ability to penetrate. Be careful not to scratch too deeply into the ceilng. Someone may come along with a silver bullet. Good Luck.

Gymschu posted while I was writing, I was kind of hinting around that if it's that bothersome, painting the whole ceiling will probably be the only perfect resolution. Since you brought it up, I'll chime in again. Touching up with anything, even paint, is going to be a longshot, and may end up trading one imperfection for another, though less noticeable one, maybe. Sometimes I like bad news to dawn on people, that way they grow into the final unwanted resolution, and then you just agree that that's probably their best bet.

Right there is the best answer, bt try the other things first
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:55 PM   #5

Thanks to Chrisn and jsheridan for your suggestions. I think i will try the paint fan deck idea first and see what happens. Great idea and I certainly appreciate the help.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:40 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Gymschu was the one to tell you about the fan deck, not that I don't like the recognition
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-29-2011)
Old 09-29-2011, 07:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Gymschu was the one to tell you about the fan deck, not that I don't like the recognition
No, he got that right. He was blowing us off prior to telling us he was taking Gymshoes suggestions, he just didn't name him.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
No, he got that right. He was blowing us off prior to telling us he was taking Gymshoes suggestions, he just didn't name him.

Wow, missed that completly, to early and no coffee
Old 09-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #9

To chrisn and jsheridan: no disrespect here my friends. I was trying to sum all of the posts up and (unintentionally) left off Gymshu. Oops! I really do appreciate the advice and am still getting used to posting on forums and all.

Another quick aside question: if I had painted a wall and had rolled in a reverse pattern - meaning one pass down and the next pass up. As the paint dried you can see the lines. Obviously, I wasn't doing it right. Each pass should be the same way, correct.

As long as this is the case, if I repaint the wall making sure that each pass goes the same way, will that likely cover up the ability to see the difference in paint rolls - up vs. down. Does that make sense?

Thanks for the helo.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #10

yes backroll in one direction either up..or down.. which ever you prefer
jarheadoo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #11

Rascal, not to go head to head with jarhead, up/down no matter. There's no "grain", unless you're leaving roller marks. On the bottom line of my signature lines, And, more DIY Painting Articles, is a link to some articles I've written on rolling, they will help you. There's a technique or two you're missing. Why rewrite it out here when it's already written somewhere else?

BTW, I didn't take any offense. I don't blame you for trying the easier of the options first. Just playin.