Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2010, 09:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

A couple questions (edging & trim painting)

So it's been ages since I've painted anything resembling a house and there are way too many products around now and I'm a touch lost.

So far I've primed almost everything (SW water based primer) and have paint (SW Duration) and the actual painting of the walls is pretty simple - rollers haven't changed too much in the last few years Where I'm not sure about things is on edging and trim painting. I can cut in around the trim with a brush but I might have a touch of OCD and it bothers me that it isnt roller smooth. Is there anything that will smooth that out? I've seen 4" rollers and edging pads - are they any better or faster than just using a brush?

Trim - the trim is all existing and has who knows how many layers of paint on it. Does it need priming or can I just paint over it?

Thanks

cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:30 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,102

Skip the pads and just brush with a quality brush
The trim should be at least sanded to promote a better bond.If it is oil based and you are applying latex, then a bonding primer is also called for.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 164

I'm just about ready to do some trim painting as well. I'm off to the store to get some better brushes, seems like it makes sense to have a top notch brush when working in detail like this.
HandyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyFrank View Post
I'm just about ready to do some trim painting as well. I'm off to the store to get some better brushes, seems like it makes sense to have a top notch brush when working in detail like this.
There is no such thing as a cheap paint brush! Buy good ones. Befriend them and take care of them.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
There is no such thing as a cheap paint brush! Buy good ones. Befriend them and take care of them.
Are the Purdy brushes at the depot good? Wondering if they are the same quality as the ones I would buy at a Sherwin-Williams. I'm going to plan to get a few this week at home depot.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Are the Purdy brushes at the depot good? Wondering if they are the same quality as the ones I would buy at a Sherwin-Williams. I'm going to plan to get a few this week at home depot.
No, they are cheaper knock off's than you would get at SW, avoid HD for painting supplies, except maybe tape.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
No, they are cheaper knock off's than you would get at SW, avoid HD for painting supplies, except maybe tape.
I was afraid of that. Anyone know if Amazon's Purdy brushes are the legit higher quality ones? I'm an Amazon.com junkie, if not i'll go get them local at the paint store. I called Purdy and they told me their brushes are the same from any seller, but I guess the truth is in the brush

Last edited by HandyFrank; 01-12-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
I was afraid of that. Anyone know if Amazon's Purdy brushes are the legit higher quality ones? I'm an Amazon.com junkie, if not i'll go get them local at the paint store. I called Purdy and they told me their brushes are the same from any seller, but I guess the truth is in the brush
Hey HandyFrank,

Do you have and ICI Dulux store in the area. They have the best brushes, better than Purdy.

Kevin
Kevin M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

I'm a Wooster brush guy
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #10
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolk View Post
I'm a Wooster brush guy
T Polk,

If you try a Dulux brush you will drop the wooster brush like a bad habit!!
LOL!!

Kevin
Old 01-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,000

never heard of them, who carrys them?
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:19 PM   #12
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolk View Post
never heard of them, who carrys them?
Dulux, ICI is the company. I'm not sure if they have any stores in your area. I have about thirty or forty brushes, don't own a Wooster brush. Have a bunch of Wooster rollers and what not. I'm sure the wooster brushes are pretty decent.

Kevin
Old 01-13-2010, 03:22 AM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M. View Post
T Polk,

If you try a Dulux brush you will drop the wooster brush like a bad habit!!
LOL!!

Kevin

I don't know how long you have been painting or if you do it for a living but to say these Dulux brushes are better than Wooster is a pretty bold statement. I have never used or even heard of them and being in the profession ;I would think that if this was some kind of a new coming,I would have at least heard of them.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:25 AM   #14
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I don't know how long you have been painting or if you do it for a living but to say these Dulux brushes are better than Wooster is a pretty bold statement. I have never used or even heard of them and being in the profession ;I would think that if this was some kind of a new coming,I would have at least heard of them.
Kind of feel the same way. Purdy and Wooster are all that are in my bag. I guess I have one private label thing I bought at MAB to try. But I will look them up to be fair. Always SOMEWHAT open to new ideas.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:56 AM   #15
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Looked them up. UK company so we would not know of them in the US.

Plastic handles scare me and am not sure having a paint can opener built into the end is a selling feature for me. Was not wowed by the way the bristles at the heel seemed fastened. I guess the triangular design for the edging brush is intriguing but why not just offer an angled sash brush you can shape as needed?

The handles were not long enough to give me the balance and steering control I am accustomed to having although I suppose I could adjust?

The packaging and price point scared me most---12 pounds for the whole set, one size of which would ever be useful? That's like $24US (haven't paid attention to currency rates) for three brushes? Scary people. They really look like consumer product brushes to me and I wish you all would listen to us who do this for a living.

Buy good brushes. Retail, a nice 2.5 inch Purdy or Wooster for latex will set you back $15US on sale. Stomp your feet at the paint store where you should buy them, and demand a discount if your buying lots of paint too or just for fun even if you are only buying a couple of brushes. They will work with you (although SWilliams seems to be becoming annoyingly corporate) as they know they are sort of in competition with the box stores. If you take care of nice brushes they will last you for the entire time you have your house. I can get years out of the ones I use everyday rotating them through different stages of service.

Oh, and by the way, I used to saw the handle off one brand new brush now and then to get into tight places where the long handle is in the way. Wooster now makes these cuter than H stubbie things that come in handy when you need them. Get one for such reasons. They are like $8US retail? If you happen to have a little five year old around that insists on helping? They are the perfect size for that size hand too and you might as well teach kids to use nice tools?

If you do any work with oil-based products the last thing you want to do is skimp on the brush or the solvents to clean them either---gasoline is not a good choice. Purdy still makes the best brushes for oil in my opinion. When I think of it, I have never owned a Wooster natural bristle brush and wonder if they ever made them? I would certainly trust the brand and manufacturing.

Last edited by user1007; 01-13-2010 at 05:03 AM.