DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

couple questions about painting on different surfaces

7K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  joeyboy 
#1 ·
I'm finally getting towards the end of my renovations, and exterior painting is one of my last things.

We're not painting the house (it's been stucco'd, and I used a tan pigment in the stucco, so not painting the actual sides of the house). But we're going for an overall tan color scheme, with red accents.

We got our premium (well, more expensive... dunno much about paints) buckets (5gal each) of red and tan. We have a list of what needs to be done with these, and I had a couple q's on how to prep a couple of different items (shown in the pics).

First pic is the gutters. These are the typical white downspouts (almost positive they're aluminum). Do I just clean / scuff these and then paint? Is scuffing necessary?

Second pic is the shutters. These are wooden shutters, and are already about as close to my red paint as can be. I imagine these just need to be cleaned, maybe scuffed a little, then painted?

Third pic is the storm shutters. These are aluminum, and are a very light tan with red stripes. I intend to make them more tan (my tan stucco is darker than the tan on the storm shutters), and to do red stripes on either side (currently you can see that each side has 2 red stripes - I plan to bridge that gap of tan in the middle of the stripes with red, so that each side has just 1 (wider) red stripe). I know I need to clean them up first, do they also need to be scuffed/sanded?

Any tips are appreciated, I'm really new to painting and don't want to do these wrong and have them all cracked/peeling a couple months after I put them up lol!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Joeyboy,
Yes, sand gutters, aluminum storm shutters (they look like awnings?). We always use 220 grit paper and sand thoroughly or your paint will not stick. If you really want a long lasting job, I would go the extra step and put a "bonding primer" on gutters and shutters before paint. We use the Zisser 123 blue label because it sticks to anything tenaciously.

Good Luck!
Bay Area Painting Contractor

#4 ·
Joeyboy,
Yes, sand gutters, aluminum storm shutters (they look like awnings?). We always use 220 grit paper and sand thoroughly or your paint will not stick. If you really want a long lasting job, I would go the extra step and put a "bonding primer" on gutters and shutters before paint. We use the Zisser 123 blue label because it sticks to anything tenaciously.

Good Luck!
Bay Area Painting Contractor
Thanks for the advice, everything's coming along great. The regular storm shuttes were tripe coated red and hung, the storm shutters/awnings were lightly sanded / primed (gray for the red stripes and white for the tan), and triple coated. I've got the gutters drying right now (primer), so those should be done in a day or so.

#3 ·
Coolness, that was the last part I hadn't figured out (the grit of the paper to use).

Yeah they call that 3rd pic 'storm shutters', I dunno, new to the area that's just what the neighbors call them. They're on practically every house in my neighborhood lol (we're 5 minutes from the gulf, in central FL).

I have my primers (I want to say 'gripper' or something like that? I don't remember the brand, but I got some gray and some white, since I want to do red and tan painting). I'm probably gonna get started on those today.

What is 'ideal' dry time between applications for primer, paint coats, etc? Just follow the labels? I only ask because the girl at home depot told me to wait overnight after my first paint coat regardless of what the paint said (I didn't purchase the paint there).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.