Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #1

Share |

Couple Painting Questions : Trim and paint choice

OK, had a slight motorcycle accident Friday the 13th. SO I had to hire a contractor to do more work than I wanted to but couldn't waste 7 weeks. Long story short had him do the sheetrock and now I am installing the trim throughout the house, he also did prehung interior doors, hollow with plastic (???) finish, pre primed. What type of paint do I use on the doors and trim work? latex? enamel? IS there a water based enamel? (read as cleans up with soap and water?) Also there is raw wood on the outside of the house we they installed new sliding glass doors. We are going to have it all capped next year when we do the siding. But want to seal it now, enamel?

Thank You ALL VERY MUCH! This forum has been a God Send!

Evil Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
Stairguy

i would use enamel. Enamel is good for doors and trim because it dries nice and hard and it is easier to wash. Ben moore makes both waterborne and alkyd enamels. I think it is called impervo. I know sherwin williams makes one too, Pro classic.

Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:14 PM   #3

Good advice, Millertyme. I have used SW's proclassic waterbourne many times with great success. It can be a bit tricky to use, but once you figure out how to lay it down, it is great enamel paint. Get the Semi-gloss for trim and doors. As for the exposed exterior wood, an alkyd primer would be the ticket and then a topcoat of latex.........you don't have to get too cute with it since you are having it covererd, but, then again, no sense in leaving exposed to weather where it might get mildew, dirt, rot, etc if left exposed.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #4

Millertyme is right on the impervo. ive used it for years and its the best oil paint ive used. the latex version is also good too with less odor.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
ltd

even tho its primed ,now am talking bout a top notch job.i would fill nail holes, i like ready patch for this ,then lightly sand ,very light to knock off the sharp edges. now prime doors and case work with a primer like s/w pro block ,or valspar primer sealer . then caulk in any gapes ,then 2 coats sherwin williams super paint .or pro classic ,pro classic is great but for a diyer it can be a hand full. i would not go oil on the finish coat even tho it beautiful,i just dont think it necessary. for doors and trim i like semi gloss.also you can use other paint brands b/m ppg are also good .if you want to skip prime step i think you will ok but this is how i do it
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I too would never trust a pre-primed product. Put a nice enamel underlay primer and all and it will really make the trim job go faster and look better.

Raw wood on the outside needs a primer/sealer of course.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #7

Ok these are the doors that I have http://www.homedepot.com/Doors-Windo...atalogId=10053 Would I use latex on them. They are all interior bedroom/closet doors. THANK YOU

Last edited by Evil Scotsman; 07-13-2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: additional comments
Old 07-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #8

These are the interior doors that I have, my question is can I use latex on these? http://www.homedepot.com/Doors-Windo...atalogId=10053

The waterbourne enamel for the steel door in the basement, does that mean that the brushes can be cleaned up with soap and water?

Lastly! (I promise) Raw wood being used for baseboards/trim CAN ??? that be primed/sealed with drywall primer/sealer? I have about 2 gallons of a five gallon bucket left and don't want to waste it. Or spend more money than I need to?

Thank You All!
Old 07-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #9
Stairguy

yes waterbourne means water cleanup
As for the primer, i would recommend a good oilbased primer like Zinnser for raw wood. Most latex primers will raise the grain of the raw wood. Drywall primer is meant for the more porous surface and you might not get a very good bond. If you have a lot to do, and really want it to look nice, get the right primer.

Last edited by Millertyme; 07-13-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Scotsman
OK, had a slight motorcycle accident Friday the 13th. SO I had to hire a contractor to do more work than I wanted to but couldn't waste 7 weeks. Long story short had him do the sheetrock and now I am installing the trim throughout the house, he also did prehung interior doors, hollow with plastic (???) finish, pre primed. What type of paint do I use on the doors and trim work? latex? enamel? IS there a water based enamel? (read as cleans up with soap and water?) Also there is raw wood on the outside of the house we they installed new sliding glass doors. We are going to have it all capped next year when we do the siding. But want to seal it now, enamel?

Thank You ALL VERY MUCH! This forum has been a God Send!
Sorry about the accident.
Like the other comments, oil base primer (for better penetration and no raised grain) then latex finish.
Good luck!
Tomdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:02 AM   #11

Evil, sorry to hear about your accident. Glad to hear you're on the mend. You're not a motorcycle stunt guy are you, like Kneivel? Is that why you're the "Evil Scotsman"? LOL! Advice so far is all good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote