Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2013, 12:32 AM   #1

Share |

Couple of painting questions

I'm going to be painting the interior walls in my house a little at a time. I have a split foyer. The living room, foyer, and hall are all connected and will of course be the same color. I can't paint all of these walls in one day and I work 12 hr days starting Monday. If I paint the living room tomorrow, can I wait 5-6 days before I paint foyer and hall? Will you be able to see where I started and stopped? Also, if I cut in the ceiling and the trim, can I wait several hours-1 day before I roll the wall?

A little history about the current paint on the walls. When we moved in back in 2009, we had a bunch of people get together and helped us paint before we moved anything in. Needless to say, the paint job didn't turn out the greatest. We used Olympic low voc latex satin paint. Also, some people used foam brushes to cut in which didn't cover good. Lowes brand finish factor rollers were used. Parts of the fuzz or nap from the rollers came off on the walls and when dried left rough spots through out the wall.

So, when I repaint, I'm going to sand the walls smooth. Also, I'm going to buy my paint from sherwin Williams. We picked out accessible beige color from the pottery barn collection at SW. What grade of paint should we get? Also there are a lot of nail pops in my walls and ceilings. What's the best permanent fix for nail pops? Thanks for any advice you can give. I'm sure I will have more questions come up as I start.
Thanks,
Andy

AndyH24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:23 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Super paint would be good for this.
Yes you can cut in and paint later( if using flat)
Just stop at a corner on the walls if you need to stop for awhile
Nail pops, you should run a drywall screw in on either side, smack it with a hammer, cover with joint compound, let it dry, sand, prime with the flat ceiling paint and then paint the ceiling

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (08-31-2013)
Old 08-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply! We are going to use satin paint. Will that show where I start and stop?
Old 08-31-2013, 12:07 PM   #4

Satin will be better than an eggshell for starting and stopping but at all costs cut and roll one wall at a time. We wrap our rollers with the blue painters tape and then unwrap it. That gets 99% of the fuzzies that would normally get into the paint. Duck tape seems to too much off.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #5

Okay thanks for the tip. Will good quality rollers still shed fuzz? What about microfiber?
Old 08-31-2013, 02:55 PM   #6

They trypically don't but we always do the tape trick on new rollers.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyH24
Okay thanks for the tip. Will good quality rollers still shed fuzz? What about microfiber?
Good Microfiber rollers will not shed. Very little splatter also.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #8

I went by SW today to look at paint samples. The salesman recommended the hgtv paint. Mainly he recommended it because we told him we were gonna try to sell our house in the next year or two. Also we were wanting low odor because we have 2 small children. Is the hgtv paint any good?
Old 08-31-2013, 06:57 PM   #9

It's all good. I really don't understand his thinking. If you are looking to sell you might look into ProMar200 a good paint less price.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:13 PM   #10

I am gonna go with ToolSeeker here and recommend the ProMar200. Also if you are selling the haouse than flat is the way to go. I will hide any imperfections in the wall and allow you to touch up the paint when you put it on the market.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #11

I have a similar situation: whoever lived in our house last was very sloppy with the painting--it's on the molding, baseboards, ceiling, you name it, it's on it. So my husband and I started the very, very slow process of painting the walls in the entire house.

So far I've seen no problem with cutting in by hand then letting the paint dry before rolling. HOWEVER, if you're using a tool to cut in instead of doing it by hand, you should probably go back and brush the line smooth or it will show through when it dries--this is why I cut in by hand now.

As for grade, our previous paint was flat and showed EVERYTHING. I have a four-year-old and she touches the walls and even wiping them down doesn't make them look good. It's gross looking and shows the slightest imperfections (such as scratches and handprints).

The finish we're using now is eggshell/satin which wipes down so, so much easier than matte while at the same time not having the awful glare from reflected light that a higher gloss paint does.
BelindaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #12

Eggshell or satin will also let you do minor touch ups. I hate flat paint on walls because like BelindaR said, it shows everything and isn't very forgiving. I just painted our living room and hallway with satin a few weeks ago, and did touch ups last night. Couldn't even tell a difference.

Like others have mentioned, try to stop your paint at a corner - and definitely do so when going from can to can (if you don't mix them together in a larger bucket as recommended). That way you won't have have to worry about color deviations between the walls painted previously and/or with a different can of paint.
kimberland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #13

kimberland30 has a point with the touch ups as well. I've been using eggshell Valspar Ultra interior paint+primer and have been using only 1 coat for each wall. Touching up here and there where needed (occasionally the white I've been using on the baseboards and molding shows through) doesn't even show up, and I've done touch ups with both a brush and roller.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelindaR
kimberland30 has a point with the touch ups as well. I've been using eggshell Valspar Ultra interior paint+primer and have been using only 1 coat for each wall. Touching up here and there where needed (occasionally the white I've been using on the baseboards and molding shows through) doesn't even show up, and I've done touch ups with both a brush and roller.
I like the Ultra. It's my go to paint when I need something cheap (relatively).
It will often give true one coat coverage..if you get a thick enough coat on.
Good touch up too.

I just finished a new house using it on the dry wall. Great looking satin ultra white walls in two coats.
Attached Thumbnails
Couple of painting questions-image-3947692685.jpg   Couple of painting questions-image-1115053195.jpg  
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
I like the Ultra. It's my go to paint when I need something cheap (relatively).
It will often give true one coat coverage..if you get a thick enough coat on.
Good touch up too.
We learned that lesson the hard way. My stepfather owns his own painting business and told us to use ColorPlace. Worst. Advice. Ever. Our bedroom needed three coats of that stuff to cover up the old paint vs just one of a more expensive brand.

I guess paint is one area where you get what you pay for. I know we're not supposed to come on here and say "this is why I do/don't like (insert brand name here)", but I'm like the OP and have a limited window to do painting. I'm a SAHM and my daughter has preschool for four hours/day, four days/week, and we all know cutting in by hand takes time. So any paint that covers in one coat (we've been doing thick ones) is the way to go for me.