Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 346

Corner Bead Repair? How?

What suggestions do you have for repairing a corner bead? One edge of the bead is on a popcorn ceiling and the other side of the bead is along sheetrock. The popcorn ceiling side is being to "pull away" from the popcorn and cracking a long line all of the way along the ceiling.

I figure that I can screw the bead into the popcorn ceiling area to keep it from coming loose again. I am afraid that the pressure being put on the sheetrock side will eventually pull that side away too.

What suggestions does everyone have? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Corner Bead Repair? How?-ceiling.jpg   Corner Bead Repair? How?-ceiling-1.jpg   Corner Bead Repair? How?-ceiling-2.jpg  

kennykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Corner Bead Repair? How?

Near Impossible to tell what you have there from these pictures.
Where the outside corner bead is it looks like someone used tape over the metal bead and it's coming loose.
Tape never gets put over that area.
Your going to be in for a treat, it's near impossible to get a textured wall repair to come out so it does not show. Most often the repair gets down then the whole area gets retextured so it will blend in.

One of the dozens of reasons there's hundreds of posters on here asking how to get texture off of a wall or ceiling.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 346

Corner Bead Repair? How?

The matching part is not so much my issue, at this point, it's dealing with the corner edge. I understand what you are saying about the matching though. Any ideas about the corner edge? From the pics you might be able to see the globbed up area of popcorn is where it was "patched" previously when the bead started to come off of the wall edge.
kennykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Corner Bead Repair? How?

The matching part will be the issue.
What I usually do is drill sheetrock screws just past the edge of the metal so the head of the screw clamps down the edge of the metal. usually in about 4" spacing- find where there is movement.
I will do this on both sides as needed, and then on the flat side mud a coat or 2 with hot (powdered) mud- its stronger than premixed- and top off with plus 3 for sanding.
The textured side is more like artwork- scrape off a bit, I see it is indented- maybe about 3-4" past that. Mud as above- then i have a handpump Homex texture sprayer that is ok for small touchups.
The texture needs to be the same stuff, and at the right consistency and when sprayed the right density. All hard to pull off.
Lots of guys will just say it can't be done and scrape and respray whole ceiling.
This is not easy.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Corner Bead Repair? How?

Why don't you just try to sink a few screws along the pull away, without damaging the texture. That texture seems thick, heavy enough that a few screws driven up will not be that noticeable. All you need to do is stop the pull away. It's worth a try. Make a hole in the texture the width of the screw head (drill bit) so the head doesn't damage the texture going in, drill some screws in and touch them up with the ceiling color or something close. As hinted at, no matter what you do up there, short of complete replacement, is going to show. Your job is to do it with the least amount of show. Always eliminate the easiest, least costly ways to do something first.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Corner Bead Repair? How?

Yes, I would try drilling a few screws and see how that works out. This is a can of worms situation, so work carefully. You might try pre-drilling holes in the metal bead...

ARC Painting is offline   Reply With Quote