Corking (caulking) Gun? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 500

Corking (caulking) gun?

Just for interest, has anyone ever heard a caulking gun referred to as a "corking" gun. I heard this today in a shop conversation. When several of us questioned caulking? gun, we were told that professionals who know what they are talking about call it a corking gun. Guess that's why I'm not on the pro site.

Advertisement

Old 03-23-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Corking (caulking) gun?

Seems all pros are from Brooklyn? No such tool, seems someone does not even recognize a "Pro"

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,070

Corking (caulking) gun?

Those Farging Corking guns.....
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:47 PM   #4

Corking (caulking) gun?

ive got a buddy who calls it that
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Corking (caulking) gun?

It's the "redneck" pronunciation "downunder", kind of like "y'all" as opposed to "you all". I'm guessing you're relatively new to the area?? Or you just haven't been to SOUTH Georgia much....
Old 03-24-2009, 06:55 PM   #6
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Corking (caulking) gun?

Whelp, to keep it shawt, folks out heeyah ah moowah likely to drop theyah "ahs"
Wheyah the "ahs" go, I have no idear
Not into cawk guns that's foshowah
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 500

Corking (caulking) gun?

Quote:
It's the "redneck" pronunciation "downunder", kind of like "y'all" as opposed to "you all". I'm guessing you're relatively new to the area??
Not sure where that assumption came from, considering Gwinett County is not really what I would consider "SOUTH" Georgia.

Actually, I was born at Ga Baptist Hospital, 300 Blvd. NE, Atlanta, GA and grew up in the airport area. My first summer job, other than cutting grass, was for the hospital. In the paint department- in 1969. I'm about an hour away now. "Up north" is Chattanooga, "out west" is Birmingham, "down south is Columbus or Macon. So, I'm not familar with south Georgia other than going to Savannah for St. Patrick's.

Frankly, this person is our shop mechanic who also tried to tell me that a pair of oil filter pliers were not that because, "see these teeth, they'll tear the filter housing." Not nearly as bad as jabbing a screwdriver through one to get it loose. The next day, I found a sale paper from Sears with oil filter pliers and cut it out and taped on the bulletin board. And just to say it, I never use a filter wrench/pliers to put one on with.

This boy (22) just thinks he knows everything and that nobody else knows anything. Just a complete SA. I cannot begin to count the times that he has walked up to someone and started telling them how to do something when the job was going just fine as it was. At this point, he has alienated just about everyone in our shop. This is not his pronunciation. We asked him twice to verify what he was saying. He said, "corking gun, that's what the people who really know what they are talking about call it, but some people say caulking."

But, there's the chance I was ignorant about a tool I had been using for, let's see- 40+ years. Twice his age!

Last edited by downunder; 03-25-2009 at 02:18 PM.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #8
Drywall contractor

Corking (caulking) gun?

No Gwinnett is hardly South, but I was referring to the true South Ga. beyond Macon - Dublin, Dexter, Waycross. etc. And no insult intended. I've hunted south Ga. a lot over the years. I've heard several "good old country boys" refer to a "corking" gun. I think my reaction was the same as yours the first time I heard the term.....

Last edited by bjbatlanta; 03-25-2009 at 03:41 PM.
bjbatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:32 PM   #9
Remodeling Contractor

Corking (caulking) gun?

While you are at that bulletin board (cork would work) ask him to borrow the gun to make a new one.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:01 PM   #10
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

Corking (caulking) gun?

Now ya'll get this straight the first time you heah? Thar is a South Georgia and a North Georgia. There are South Georgia Rednecks and North Georgia Yankees, but no North Georgia Rednecks. Ya'll see, there's this here-un line that runs from Columbus, across to Macon and on over to Augusta (but South of that thar golf course thing). That's the dividing line. Not exactly the Mason-Dixon line, but it's the Official line. Now they's some round heyeah that says a body what come from North of McDonald's in Cordele is a Yankee, but that's another story. David
Thurman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #11
Drywall contractor

Corking (caulking) gun?

Hey Thurman, now Jeff Foxworthy may argue that point with you. Of course he's from NORTH, GA.
(I've rabbit hunted in your neck of the woods too...)
Old 03-29-2009, 06:19 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

Corking (caulking) gun?

sounds like my husband though, knows everything....but really nothing!! oh and he's English....from Scottland! So i am sure it is 'corking gun' to him....
cmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:45 PM   #13
Drywall contractor

Corking (caulking) gun?

English from Scotland??? Now that leaves me scratching my head....

Advertisement