Concrete Wall Painting Solutions-Interior Side Of Sunroom Addition - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2010, 01:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Concrete Wall Painting Solutions-Interior Side of Sunroom Addition

Hiya Folks,

I apologize if this is a repeat of any previous posts. Feel free to direct me if necessary.

I have a two fold question one involving paint and one involving insulation.

I have an old 1939 Brick/Concrete Cape Cod. I'm attempting to do as much DIY renovation as possible as I'm on a fixed budget as are most folks.

I'm currently gutting and renovating a Sun Room addition to my house (have no idea when this was added). It has a flat roof (just redone) and a one car garage beneath. It's 20X11.

I'm am pulling down the old ceiling and particle board off all of the walls. Behind I'm find a concrete block wall with no insulation. The ceiling has decaying loose insulation (possibly Asbestos?). I will tackle that in the appropriate thread.

My questions for this Tread is this:

1. Is it prudent to paint, seal and watertight the concrete walls while I have everything torn down?

2. What suggestions do folks have for type of paint?

3. Flat roofs cause all kinds of problems. I anticipate keeping an eye and doing regular maintenance to the roof however I suspect at somepoint water will get by.
What suggestions do folks have for sealing the roof, including painting the ply wood base on the interior side, caulking maybe, etc etc?

I couldn't afford a major upgrade to the roof so I had to keep it flat so I know I'm in the 5-10 year range on replacing it yet again.

However I'd like to do the best I can on the interior side to not only give me piece of mind but also not leave lurking surprises for any future home owners.

I should also include. I live in Washington DC. It is pretty humid during the summer months. I do not have central AC so combating humidity in the house is always fun. Thought he window shakers do a pretty good job of keeping the house dry.

Thanks for any advice and tips!!

Advertisement

AlexMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Alex,

I would definitely seal that wall while you have the chance. It will go along way towards any future problems that may pop up. The biggest plus to all this is preventing any mildew from growing on the backside of the wall.

Try using a CONCRETE & MASONRY WATERPROOFING PAINT and cover every square inch.

Advertisement

HDPaintPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
NAV

Rewards Points: 75

There is nothing you can do to the ceiling to prevent a roof leak. Sounds like you have a wood rood deck and painting it would do nothing. If your new roof was properly installed you should get 20 years out of it. What type of roof did you put on it: EPDM, Modified Bitumen, Built-up, Thermoplastic, TPO?

The thing with waterproofing the inside of a ceiling or wall is that you trap moisture in the wall causing damage to your wall. You have to prevent water infiltration from the outside by maintaining your roof or making sure that all penetrations in the walls are properly sealed. if you have a brick or block exterior wall you should apply a waterproofing sealer to it and make sure there is no deteriorating or missing mortar. Use a urethane caulk on all joints etc.
NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
jack of all master of one

Rewards Points: 10

as for water proffing a wall i'd use blueskin and a couple of french drains with weeping tile to bring the water away from the house. water proffing paint usally involves a two part apoxy (like for pools) and blueskin is faster and more easy to apply. as for the insulation horse hair and plaster were commenly used in that era (1939) so check on that, but to insulate concrete block try cladmate (styrofoam) it comes in a lot of sizes and can be addheared with PL300 (styrofoam glue) on the out side and then tuck tape the joints. flat roofs are not suspose to be dead level flat and there has to be some sort of a drain at the low part of the slope maybe tie into the ease troff to move the water off check building codes to see what slope you need in 20 feet to move water correctly, think of it like a concrete floor all sloped to the drain usally only needs about 2 inches in 10 feet.
hammerstedt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concrete block wall , interior paint , mold prevention , water sealant