Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2008, 10:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Concrete Painting

I have some statuary that I would like to paint. One is a tropical frog that I would like to paint with bright colors that will have to be custom colors. Needless to say, I will not need gallons of each color, so the paint has to be available is quarts. I know to use a 5% solution of muriatic acid until it stops 'fizzing' to neutralize the alkaline in the concrete, but my knowledge ends there. What type of primer should I use and what type of paint? Should my first coats be thinned down for absorption? Should the primer be thinned and 2 coats put on? Then should the paint be thinned for 1 or 2 coats. I figure this is going to take a lot of coats for the depth of color I am looking for.

Sasha2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Concrete Painting

Someone's been giving you bad advice. You don't need to wash your concrete with muriatic acid. You can buy special acrylic primers made specifically for new concrete. Just go to any place that sells paint and tell them you're wanting an 100% ACRYLIC primer made specifically for painting NEW HIGHLY ALKALINE concrete, and they should sell you the right thing.

You can put on two coats of primer if you want. The special acrylic primer protects any paint you put over it from the high alkalinity of new concrete, and two coats would protect your paint better than one.

If it were me, I would buy my paint from an art supply store rather than a hardware store for a project like this. Art supply stores sell paints made with pigments that house paints aren't allowed to have in them, like Cadmium Yellow, Cadmium Red, Lead Carbonate (called "Flake White"), Cobalt Blue, and many other highly colourfast colours that would stand up to the UV light from the Sun much better than the bright colours used in house paints.

I would apply at least one coat of an acrylic primer made for fresh concrete.

I would draw the areas I want to paint on the acrylic primer with a pencil.

I would paint the statues with artist's paint using bright INORGANIC pigments that house paints are banned from using. And, I would tell everyone not to lick the statues cuz the paint contains cadmium, cobalt and lead.

Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Concrete Painting

I had thought about art supply, but figured it would not hold up at all. I am thrilled with your thoughts as they will give me the colors I want and the quantities. Plus, I can blend with colors I am used to using to achieve realistic frogs. Thanks again. I will send photos of finished product (That's if the temperatures here dip below 100 anytime soon!).
Sasha2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Concrete Painting

Maybe let the guy at the art supply store know you want to use these paints outside. I know that the brightly coloured inorganic pigments you can buy in art supply stores will certainly stand up better to UV light than the brightly coloured organic pigments typically used in house paints, but I don't know that the binders used in artist's paints will. It occurs to me that they may not add mildewcides and UV blockers to artist's paints.

Perhaps you can still go with the artist's paint idea, and then top coat with a clear exterior top coat, like a Marine Varnish.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote