Concrete Floor Paint - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Concrete Floor Paint

I have always used oil-based enamel to paint concrete floors - long lasting, durable - and so I am late to facing the ban...

I would appreciate the next best paint solution, suggestions, brands or is there any state still selling? I am in NY. Need a large quantity, covering about 10,000 SF industrial, commercial space.

Thank you!

Advertisement

ty67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 254

Concrete Floor Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty67 View Post
I have always used oil-based enamel to paint concrete floors - long lasting, durable - and so I am late to facing the ban...

I would appreciate the next best paint solution, suggestions, brands or is there any state still selling? I am in NY. Need a large quantity, covering about 10,000 SF industrial, commercial space.

Thank you!
ty..

Concerning the ban...there is no ban. Oil based paints are available in the state of NY. Some manufacturers have decided not to provide alkyd products, made to the specific VOC regs that NY allows, but other manufacturers have... especially so if your application is in an industrial environment. If alkyd (oil) is what you really want, check with your local INDEPENDENT paint dealer for a regional paint manufacturer that still manufacturers alkyd products for the OTC states.

...But since you're talking to your local INDEPENDENT paint dealer anyway, ask him/her what their recommendation is for painting a 10K sq.ft. industrial floor with. After asking you a bunch of questions, you may be surprised to find that alkyd is not gonna be their first recommendation. Good luck to you.

Advertisement

ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Concrete Floor Paint

As a waterbased product I have had great results with Benjamin Moore's Floor, Porch and Patio paint (not sure I remember the name exactly). It is an acrylic product reinforced with epoxy and flows on nicely. It is self priming.

I to always leaned toward alkyd floor paints but I am not sure I could claim them superior to the reinforced acrylics, silicones, epoxy paints and other stuff out there now. I happen to think that we have other more dangerous sources of VOCs than paint but you know, if we can use products low in them I am all for it.

As suggested, there is probably a commercial or industrial coating grade of something similar from the major paint store brand suppliers. You might go to the Ben Moore and Sherwin Williams sites to start for product specs and the name of the rep for such products near you. If, of course, the folks in your paint store cannot help. I suspect they will be able to do so or refer you to the same person if they cannot. I suspect they will cut you a deal on paint for 10Ksf as well but not unless you ask.

Abatron has great industrial products but they are pricey. Customer support is helpful and actually knows the products. I don't think they wear orange or blue aprons when talking on the phone either. They will not refer you to the plumbing department for a light switch though.

http://www.abatron.com/coatings.html

US Coatings has some nice environmentally friendly, low VOC industrial concrete coatings too. I was just starting to use a lot of their products when I was taken out of the race.

http://www.uscoatingsolutions.com/concrete-paint.php

Just stay away from box store brands or you will have 10Ksf of a mess.

Last edited by user1007; 05-22-2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Added URLs
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concrete , floor paint , oil base primer