Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
jschaben

Share |

Comments on S-W Contractor Grades

I've avoided S-W paint for years as cost prohibitive to my budget. Based on some info from here, I started watching them closer and finally picked up some S-W ProCoat on a 40% off sale which brought it very close to what I had been paying for Rustoleum Painters Touch. This was for some kitchen cabinets BTW. At any rate, I agree that it is much superior, even the white is whiter.
Brings me to this question. Before spring, I will likely need to repaint a bedroom, living room and kitchen. I thought I would investigate the contractor grades from S-W. The building I work in used ProMar 200 in eggshell and it wears very well and touches up nicely. Not sure just when it was painted, maybe 10 or so years ago as I am still touching up with one of the original cans.
I had a chat with one of the S-W assistant managers and asked him about the contractor grades and he said there was no warranty on them (I could give c*** about that) and they were primarily formulated for spraying (might give a c*** about that, depends).
I know in addition to ProMar 200 there is a ProMar 400 and probably several others. Haven't had a lot of luck getting information out of their website. Any comments or information would be welcome

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

I use mostly BM- But Pro Mar 200 is very often used by many contractors for it's ease of use, touch up and price.
It comes in most sheens- what are you thinking of? The flat is very common in new construction.
From my experience- the 400 is junk. Not a quality paint at all.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:29 AM   #3
jschaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
I use mostly BM- But Pro Mar 200 is very often used by many contractors for it's ease of use, touch up and price.
It comes in most sheens- what are you thinking of? The flat is very common in new construction.
From my experience- the 400 is junk. Not a quality paint at all.
Thanks for the response. Was thinking eggshell throughout, maybe semi in the kitchen. Using gloss white/patience on the cabinets. Old house so not to concerned about showing "defects" (we call 'em "character" marks). Just looking for durability and washability.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #4

Jschaben, I have used Promar 200 Eggshel for years. It's not top of the line, but, for it's price point, it's a very good paint for the money. Most of the time I use it for apartment repaints, but, I also use it on occasion for residential repaints. 400 is ok........nothing to crow about......a lot thinner in consistency than 200. If you have to have an absolute bargain SW paint, look into Sherscrub.......about like 400, maybe just a bit better.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
jschaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Jschaben, I have used Promar 200 Eggshel for years. It's not top of the line, but, for it's price point, it's a very good paint for the money. Most of the time I use it for apartment repaints, but, I also use it on occasion for residential repaints. 400 is ok........nothing to crow about......a lot thinner in consistency than 200. If you have to have an absolute bargain SW paint, look into Sherscrub.......about like 400, maybe just a bit better.
Thanks for the input. 400 and Sherscrub being thinner kinda falls along with the S-W guys' comment about "formulated for spraying".
Thanks again

Old 09-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
ltd

i have used a lot of 200 hundred over the years its good paint for the money ,nothing special tho. unless you are getting a good price on it. i would cut back on starbucks ,and put a few more bucks toward super paint . if you decide on 200 you will be ok ,hey i have used it in half million dollar houses. anyways pro 200 makes a low sheen eggshell looks great just the right amount of sheen ,semi gloss in a kitchen or a bath imho looks bad .stick with satin, eggshell ,or low sheen

ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
jschaben (09-19-2011)