Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2005, 06:27 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to athanman Send a message via AIM to athanman Send a message via MSN to athanman Send a message via Yahoo to athanman
Share |

Commenting on Behr Paints

I have been doing a lot of painting recently and in doing so I used a lot of Behr brand paints.

At this point I am interested in the experiences other people have had in using this brand of paints.

So if you have any reviews please share them.
athanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:21 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanman
I have been doing a lot of painting recently and in doing so I used a lot of Behr brand paints.

At this point I am interested in the experiences other people have had in using this brand of paints.

So if you have any reviews please share them.
I have used Behr paints and stains
I won't use them again
The best thing I can say about them is, if that is what the average homeowner thinks painting is like, then Behr has defininately got me jobs (Thanx B.)

I find it hard to work with and terrible at covering

Really, if you have been doing some painting lately and have sort of a handle on it, switch over to something good
After you've done a small room with the good stuff, actually before you finish, you'll forget the Behr stuff
It'll be quicker, nicer, better coverage...

I suggest going to a local paint shop and trying some Ben Moore for you're next project
You won't be disappointed
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slickshift For This Useful Post:
NCpaint1 (02-18-2011), Rob1975 (04-30-2011)
Old 08-25-2005, 08:11 AM   #3
Paperhanger/painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift
I have used Behr paints and stains
I won't use them again
The best thing I can say about them is, if that is what the average homeowner thinks painting is like, then Behr has defininately got me jobs (Thanx B.)

I find it hard to work with and terrible at covering

Really, if you have been doing some painting lately and have sort of a handle on it, switch over to something good
After you've done a small room with the good stuff, actually before you finish, you'll forget the Behr stuff
It'll be quicker, nicer, better coverage...

I suggest going to a local paint shop and trying some Ben Moore for you're next project
You won't be disappointed
Word, ditto, yeppers, or anything I else i could say to agree with Mr. Slickshift.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ProWallGuy For This Useful Post:
NCpaint1 (02-18-2011)
Old 09-30-2005, 08:51 AM   #4

I would appreciate any info on priming interior walls. I'm planning to use a bright red latex paint. I watch a lot of HGTV and on their shows, they say to use a tinted primer (the color of the paint) so that you will only need one coat. Someone told me to use a grey primer which will still require two coats. I'm really confused. Should I just use three coats of paint and forget the primer?

Thanks for the help.
baileyjune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 05:57 PM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyjune
I'm planning to use a bright red latex paint. I watch a lot of HGTV and on their shows, they say to use a tinted primer (the color of the paint) so that you will only need one coat.
That is not entirely accurate
You may "get away" with one coat with a tinted primer, but it's really not a good idea on many levels
Also, that goes entirely out the window with difficult colors, of which red is probably the most difficult
Red actually may take three coats no matter what you do

Really the best thing is to do the grey primer and try for two coats red
You will want to use a good quality paint, brushes, and roller sleeves
Tell your local paint store personel what you're doing, they'll help out with that stuff
Old 09-30-2005, 06:14 PM   #6
Contractor

I sub for BM but am not biased by it. I'm sure that SW makes an equiviilant paint for everything.

I prefer a white primer as it will bring out the true color of the topcoats better. There isn't a paint made that will cover in one coat. All aplications will leave 'baldies' where not enough paint was applied, the second coat will cover these unless you are really trying to get the 600 sq. ft. claimed by the manufacturer. Squeezing the paint might make a third coat required.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 06:48 PM   #7
Yes Master

Thumbs down

“Behr Paints” is hideous, vulgar, trash! The only thing I like about it is the plastic bucket. When you’re throwing a full gallon in an empty dumpster it doesn’t clang like metal buckets do.
MasterStrokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:21 AM   #8
aka:awesomedell

Send a message via MSN to housedocs

I just did a freebie job at a local school, cleaned and resealed a deck & ramp for a very small school district. The principal had bought the behr clear waterproofing, crappiest stuff I have ever used. Label claimed clean-up was easy with just soap & water. Total BS, the stuff was very thick and took alot of shaking & stirring just to get it to a usable consistency that would run thru a pump up sprayer and the tiny bit I got on the bldg turned orange upon contact and was very difficult to remove. I've used their paint just once, in a case where the bldg owner already had the behr paint on hand. Stuff was terrible, took 3 coats to get adequate coverage and this was just a flat white. How this junk ever got listed as a best buy by CP is beyond me. According to the school principal, that is why she got the Behr deck stuff, she saw it in a Consumer Report mag saying it was a best buy.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:45 AM   #9
hmc

So I am new at painting, but since I am painting EVERY room in this house I have tried the following brands of paint:
Glidden.....crap, required a complete re-do
Behr....ok in a pinch but their oil based primer is horrible
BM....excellent coverage, low splatter
SW....love it, excellent everything
hmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:56 PM   #10

Before everyone blames every paint out there.
A good painter can make magic with average paint and a poor painter
can do nothing right with top of the line paint.
I have painted thousands of homes over twenty years and so far
I haven't come across too many bad paints these days.
Please compare apples to apples.
Third line Benjamin Moore is not as good as first line Glidden.
Top line Pittsburgh is better than third line S.W. etc.
Nine times out of ten, it is not the paint, it is the painter...
sorry for the cold truth.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to George Z For This Useful Post:
caveman1968 (08-09-2010), CheriAlli (10-11-2010), Marbledust (01-29-2011), Ole34 (02-20-2011)
Old 10-28-2005, 10:39 PM   #11
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z
I haven't come across too many bad paints these days.
I'm guessing you haven't tried the Behr then
It's truly horrible
Old 10-29-2005, 12:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift
I'm guessing you haven't tried the Behr then
It's truly horrible
I have.
Not that great but workable.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:20 PM   #13
Yes Master

George I agree with you in a sense. A professional painter can and will make the best out of any paint but I don’t understand why a professional would want to use or recommend anything but the best products. The ease of application, the quality of the cured finish, the eye appeal. All of these are what being a professional is all about.

I’ve slung paint since 1979. I guess you’d have to understand the art of painting to get anything out of this but I truly love to paint on most days. Put me in front of a group of people and I’ll enchant them with my performance. Give me professional tools and paint, I’ll give you a superior finished surface at lightning speed. The tool and paint become an extension of you. Be the paint.

I’m also a perfectionist. I varnish my brush handles. I soap up the heels before dipping them in paint. I clean a brush I’ve owned forever two, or three times a day to give it the respect a good brush deserves. My drop clothes stay in immaculate condition because I know the power of a good piece of straight edge cardboard. When I roll a ceiling the only drip I may get and I do say “may” is from the roller frame not my professional grade sheep skin nap. Give me a deep color to cut in against a difficult edge. I’ll put on my (Petzl E43P2 Tikka LED Headlamp) and have that edge as straight as an arrow. At the end of the day I’m clean, my tools are clean and the client is bedazzled. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had clients comment on my performance and I’m happy when it gets noticed. That’s what it’s all about for me.

I see so many applicators today making their jobs miserable, wasting time and grumbling about having to throw paint on day after day. I look at their tools and paint labels. If they only took the time to invest in quality products they’d find work much more enjoyable. It doesn’t have to cost a fortune and the investment pays for itself in so many different ways.

I’m sorry George but your opinions here thus far take me back to the years when I was simply an applicator that didn’t know the difference.

I almost cringe at having to type these two words together. “Behr Paints” is atrocious, horrendous, over rated cheap junk sold to consumers by the devil himself. Opening the lid releases little paint demons that frolic in your head telling you to subscribe to consumer report. Come to the “Church of the Immaculate Artist” George. :D Come to the light. Let us exorcise you of these familiar spirits and we’ll have a killer weenie roast afterwards.

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to MasterStrokes For This Useful Post:
Rcon (04-17-2011)
Old 10-29-2005, 07:37 PM   #14

"I almost cringe at having to type these two words together. “Behr Paints” is atrocious, horrendous, over rated cheap junk sold to consumers by the devil himself. Opening the lid releases little paint demons that frolic in your head telling you to subscribe to consumer report. Come to the “Church of the Immaculate Artist” George. :D Come to the light. Let us exorcise you of these familiar spirits and we’ll have a killer weenie roast afterwards."

How do you really feel about Behr paints?
We are a Benjamin Moore Painting and Decorating Services contractor (PDS) and we use B Moore for 90% of our jobs. No, I would never recommend or specify BEHR but sometimes it is there. I am in the business
of helping my company grow, not to get involved in brand wars.
A consumer buys the painting experience not always the paint job.
Your passion is admirable but most paint jobs are good or bad before any paint gallon is even opened. In many jobs prep-work is almost 75% of any job. Skip that and no paint will save you no matter how straight the lines are.
Professionalism? No problem there. Hundreds of paint jobs in Toronto, many of the spectacular variety, zero callbacks or complains so far with any paint brand used.
We let our workmanship do the talking, never had to use the paint as an excuse.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:44 PM   #15
Yes Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z

How do you really feel about Behr paints?
I would never recommend or specify BEHR but sometimes it is there.
Honestly I’ve had problems with Behr every time I’ve used it. It’s difficult to apply uniformly. You have to push the paint across the surface because it’s too thick. It dries too fast and leaves paint build up spots where the roller overlaps with the cut in. It dries flashy leaving dull and shiny spots when looking down the length of a wall. It smells like ammonia. I’ve seen the junk sag when applied heavily. It has virtually zero leveling power on horizontal surfaces.

I go above and beyond with my prep work. I certainly don’t want to add a junktacular product after all that work. Go to Bob Vilas site and type in (Behr Paint Problem) Look at all those complaints. People are actually returning it and getting refunds if they complain to higher powers. I’d rather inform a client of its potential problems and the proper way to get a refund instead of taking a chance with a product known to cause problems. I’m a painter. I’m paid to know something about paint too.

I’m not a contractor anymore. I’m employed by a decorator and run the painting department for the company. She has 5 other decorators in the company and they all know what to look for in the finish appearance. If I used Behr paints I know they’d see a few of the problems I mentioned above. I guess you’ve had luck with the overall appearance and it applied well for you. That’s incredible!