Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2008, 01:15 PM   #1

Share |

Columbia paint

Does anyone know anything about the quality of Columbia paint products? I am in WA state and these guys are a local company out of Spokane. I would like to spend my money locally if I can justify it with a good product. I am told that they are owned by SW and that they run all of their quality control. I have also heard that the lowest grade Columbia paint has more solids than the higher grades of many of the less desirable product lines. A local contractor told me this. I asked if I should buy the SW superpaint or the top-of-the-line Columbia premium pro. He said Columbia hands down. They are comparably priced.

Slickshift- look at my new construction post please! Thanks
newpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:27 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Columbia paint

I'm not familiar with the brand
But I can say in many cases a regional brand can be as good or better than a national brand for many reasons
The biggest is they can formulate the paints for what works best for the region rather than something that will work the same in the desert, in Florida, in northern Canada, etc...not necessarily the best for any of them
This can be a huge asset

Some of my favorite paints are, or have been, regional brands
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:53 AM   #3

Columbia paint

I will mention that you can pretty much ignore the total solids content as in indicator of paint quality. There are all kind of junk solids that can be put in the can that do nothing but make it thick and take up space.

It's not a matter of how much solids are in the can, more which ones are in there, and what the paint does with them.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:40 AM   #4

Columbia paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwired View Post
I will mention that you can pretty much ignore the total solids content as in indicator of paint quality. There are all kind of junk solids that can be put in the can that do nothing but make it thick and take up space.

It's not a matter of how much solids are in the can, more which ones are in there, and what the paint does with them.

SirWired
Very true. We sell a fair bit of Pratt and Lambert Accolade. This stuff is much thinner in the can than what most people seem to expect of a high quality paint. It covers better than most anything else I've used though. It just doesn't have a bunch of useless fillers in it.