Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Colors & Decorating Advice for Basement Remodel

Hi All,

I'm in the process of finishing my basement and although I can handle most remodeling tasks, I struggle with design and color choices. Below, you'll see a 3D model of the basement layout and basic design ideas. At this point, the framing and drywall is complete. I'm now at the point where I need to decide on colors, themes, etc, so I can paint the walls and do the trim work.

Some predefined choices: The outlets are black and the coverplates are metalic (Stainless steel). The bar top is a black granite look.

Our preference is to go with white trim and doors with a light blue wall color. In addition, I will have a bar with cabinetry below, some tile in front of the bar, an entertainment center and potentially some shelving and toyboxes for the kids. Based on what I've described, what colors should I be going with for the bar cabinets, entertainment center, tile and toyboxes? Will the black outlets work with the white trim and doors? Any other thoughts on wall color, designs or anything else?

It's funny how these seemingly simple decisions are turning out to be the most difficult part of the project and could easily have the most impact on the final look. Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Link to basement layout pic:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Thanks,
Brad

gunderson99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

What is the plan for flooring and its color? Ceilings are drywalled or open? You say the black outlets with chrome coverplates are a done deal? So you are asking about white trim compatibility with the thought of changing it, not switching out the outlets? For example, where are the outlets and other electrical things? Outlets got moved to baseboard area or are they around the ceiling? Are those small windows along the one wall? Overall dimensions are (not critical for picking color but nice to know).

Last edited by user1007; 06-27-2011 at 04:07 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

With my customers I like to clearly make the distinction that a painter APPLIES the choices, a decorator helps you to make them. Quite a different biz.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #4

Basement dimension of the open finished area is roughly 23'x26' and the office is 8'x9'. Haven't really decided the color of flooring yet, but it will be carpeted. If you have a color suggestion, that would be good. The area around the bar could be tile or something similar. The ceiling is a drop ceiling with white 2x2 tiles. Yes, those are small windows along the one wall.

As for the trim and outlets... I suppose everything "could" be changed, but for now I would assume they are a done deal. Outlets are placed around the basement near the baseboards. Each wall has one or more outlets. There is also an outlet over the bar counter top and a couple for the TV and entertainment center, in between the bar and sump pump.

The color scheme started when my wife saw a picture of a basement with light blue walls, light colored wood and white trim. She thought the black outlets and stainless steal cover plates were a nice contrast. Now when it's time to put it all together, we're second guessing and looking for alternate ideas.
gunderson99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement, basement finishing, design, paint, paint color