Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #1

Share |

Colorist/Painter cancelled 5X !!!

Hi,
I finally consulted with a colorist in September because I wanted to make the best use of color and take a little more risks. I paid her $350 for a job well done and she told me to put up the samples, which I did, and she will come back with the painters (or by herself if they could not coordinate a time) together.

Over a period of 3 months, she has cancelled 5X due to having a recurrent flu, once it was her B-day, once she wanted to go on vacation with her husband, once to help her friend move. I spoke to her in mid-December (she called me) to tell me that she will get a painter that she works with come to my house (to give me an estimate) once he's done with another project to come work on my house - one room at a time.

Meanwhile, I've been painting myself, and she has been giving me sound advice on finishes in certain rooms and small questions as I get to one when I'm painting. But I'm getting really angry that I've had to wait and while I have to give her the benefit of the doubt if she says she's ill.

I know there are other painters but I had hoped to work with her from beginning to end for good work as I've seen. I don't want another painter, but 5X is a little excessive and why can't a painter come over h ere w/o her if she's sick, which is exactly what I asked her!

Trudijane

Trudijane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #2

Wow, it really sounds like she doesn't want the job or something. Sounds like you have had good open communication with her. After 5 times I'd say it's time for an ultimatum.........either someone comes over now or I'm finding someone else to complete the work. She may be the best colorist in town and she has the best painters around, but what good are they if they don't show up? There's plenty of folks ready, willing, and able to do your work.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #3

Yes, I'm puzzled. I called another colorist/painters; and coincidentally it turned out that this person knew my colorist very well about 2 years ago and praised her work - but she also said that she has creative painters as well and at least I got an estimate for each room in the house which is acceptable to me after I described all the colors and doors, molding, details in each room.

When I call her husband who is supposedly works with her as a team except deals more with the painters, he seems very sorry and contacts her immediately to let me know i've called (again). I got an E-mail from her 5 minutes later telling me that the painter is almost done with the project as she told me last time - and thanked me again for my patience. She told me again she is still trying to catch up with the flu - yet last E-mail she told me her problem was not getting completely better before she starts working again and then she's been getting relapses.

I have to give her the benefit of the doubt as far as the flu goes. I mean I can't doubt her and I also like her. I will wait one more month - if there is no contact by the painters, I'm going to use her competitor's painters. At least I have my colors that she helped me pick out and it's really going to look nice so that makes me want to have creative painters as well.

It's a puzzle. I've fibbed when I wanted to get out of something, but 5X? She may not be fibbing. Perhaps my house is just low priority to her because I'm getting one room done at a time at about $500/room or less. She is a color consultant, designer and staging director so I guess she has her hands full. It took her a long time to come over and help me with colors as well. Now that I've done this, I'm anxious to move on.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Trudijane
Old 01-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #4

I worked a whole summer & fall with a company that had their own decorator. It seemed like all she ever did was just spin the ole' color wheel and pick what it landed on. Didn't seem like she went off furniture or existing tile or anything. She also always picked white for trim. I have seen home owners be a lot more creative than her. At $500 a room, I hope you are getting accent walls and color for trim and the whole works.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #5

If I didn't get want I had hoped for I would have been disappointed. Not all the molding in all the rooms will be right.

There are accent colors in every room - at least 2-3 colors in a room based on my favorite colors and the colors of my decor already existing in each room.

The bathroom will be completely redone, ie. walls, doors, trim, cabinets painted white, etc. No, she didn't just spin a wheel and pick out colors. She took a lot of time with me to determine what she felt would look good based on the decor and what she felt I was looking for and how much risk I was willing to take at this time.

Now, the painters estimate at $500 for a few areas...came from another colorist's painter; as I'm still waiting for Lisa, my original colorist, to bring over her painters, because I've seen her/their portfolio and their work is exceptional.

I'm just painting the walls that I can do w/o any problem and doing it carefully by doing a wall at a time. I finished the kitchen which is small and not much wall space and the color she picked out for the kitchen is this "peach" color. Now I've never seen a peach kitchen before, but it blended so well with the wooden cabinets and it's such a warm color I can't tell you the difference it has made. I even pulled out the stove last night, and ugh I couldn't believe all the "stuff" fell behind there but at leastl it got cleaned and painted just one coat of the peach as I was running out of paint.

This is without a doubt a very good decision I made in consulting with a colorist when although I have experience in design, my mind was drawing a blank when it came to choosing the right colors. In general I hate a lot of white, BUT I do like white crown molding so I've chosen to re-paint them white. They bring out the contrast in the contrast in the walls and ceilings (which will not be white) except in a few rooms.

I'm very satisfied, except for the "waiting" part.
Trudijane

Tags
cancellations, colorist, other painters, painters