Color Washing [Formerly Bathroom Renovation] - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2007, 02:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150
Question

Color Washing [Formerly Bathroom Renovation]

Ok, I've patched, sanded, primed and painted on a satin base coat. Looks pretty good, I must say. I'm interested in the experiences ya'll have had with the color washing wall treatment. The websites seem to have differing ideas on whether to use a glaze in the top coat, or to dilute the paint with water for the top coat. Also is it better to use a wet cloth, damp cloth, dry cloth or wadded up plastic bags for the top coat application? The look I'm trying for is a subdued adobe, I have applied Navajo White Base Coat [ a cool white] and will be applying Canyon [ a cool adobe brown] for the top coat.

Advertisement

shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to mischka222

My experience with glaze......tends to stay "workable" longer then water, although - you still have to work fast. I have used several different techniques, can't say one is any better than the other - just a personel preference. My experience with plastic bags has been that that the paint / glaze combo seemed to dry faster - maybe it was the friction - not really sure. I washed our living room with a glaze that already had a color in it - if I recall correctly it was called coffee - the first paint layer was a taupe. Looks great. Only problem was I decided to wait until my husband got home so that he could reach the very top. Glaze dried and I was never really able to "blend" when I started back painting. The living room looks like it has a water mark about a foot form the ceiling (haha). I finally ended up using a rag roller and a paint brush. Brush a coat of the glaze on and use the rag roller to take of what I wanted. I think you can get basically the same affect from a rag, I just don't recomment plastic unless you are working really fast.......then again I am slow.

Practice on some old sheetrock or wood - then decide which one you like the best!

Advertisement

mischka222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:31 PM   #3

Unhappy

Well the color wash is on the walls. I'd say I'm 90% satisfied with the look I was trying to achieve...adobe walls. Any suggestions for making the darker areas a bit lighter w/o starting over from scratch? I have 2 spots that I imagine I didn't rag off quickly enough. This really should have been a 2 person job but I did it by myself. Had a hard time ragging close to the ceiling and in the corners.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:09 PM   #4
Pro Painter

Rewards Points: 250

Wax on, wax off Daniel.

Try some glaze with your base color, rag it on, and then rag it off. It probably won't blend 100%. The object is to make the area stand out less. I don't think there is a 100% cure without redoing the whole wall.

Last edited by joewho; 01-26-2007 at 09:12 PM.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:09 PM   #5

I'm going to take my lemons and make lemonade. Where the darker spots are will now be faux repairs to my faux adobe walls.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:02 AM   #6
Pro Painter

Meaning you did the repair and it now stands out even more?

Or does it look a little better?

It's hard to give instructions on somthing like this over the internet. I'm guessing you went too far into the surrounding "good" faux and now have a sore thumb on the wall? Can you hang a picture over it?

At least you have a good attitude about it.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:53 PM   #7

Cool

I took some of my glaze and an artists brush and applied faux cracks in the darker spots. Now I have faux cracks with faux repairs on my faux adobe walls.

Looks pretty real to me LOL
Old 02-15-2007, 12:52 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Did I just read a Karate Kid reference???
Nice!! I love DIY with 80's movies themes!!

Home renovations are easier than you think.
JimmyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:09 PM   #9

Question

I have one last question, since this is a bathroom, should I apply some sort of a seal coat over the faux finish? I'm talking about a seal coat LOL

If so, what brand and what type of sealer??

Old 02-15-2007, 05:48 PM   #10
Pro Painter

Yes. Water borne clear coat. Stir, don't shake. It tends to leave small bubbles easily. Foam rollers will bubble a lot.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:07 PM   #11

Would that eliminate something like MinWax Quick Dry Polyurethane?
Old 02-16-2007, 12:18 AM   #12
Pro Painter

Waterborne will give the necessary protection and usually guarantees to be crystal clear. It has a very thin mil thickness. The end result is very anti-climatic, you can't tell it's there.

Solvent based polys may yellow and it will change the appearance of your work slightly.

Last edited by joewho; 02-16-2007 at 12:23 AM.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:38 AM   #13

Question

Almost done, whew!

The doors in the house are hollow-core somesortofnaturalwood type finish. Hubby kinda' want them restained and coated with poly [by the way, he's happy with the way the vanity and the doors came out.]

I'm leaning towards painting the same color as I am painting the trim. Either way, what is the best way to prepping them?

If I do paint I imagine I will have to prime [have been using Zinsser 1-2-3 so far.]

Also I don't know how many of the members would be interested, but I'd love to see an interior decorating/design category. Thoughts? Maybe I ought to put that in a separate post.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #14
Pro Painter

Did you clear coat the bathroom yet?

Are the doors already stained? If so, they'd have to be stripped in order to restain.

To paint, sand, clean, prime and paint.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:08 PM   #15

Clear-coating will be done in a day or two. Have other things on the burner at this moment.

I can't really tell what was previously done to the doors. It really looks like some sort of wood finish was applied. They just look yucky.

I'm really leaning towards paint, after the prepping, to me this natural wood just looks so 80's and I really want the house to look up-dated. Especially since the whole interior will be getting a fresh coat of paint as fast as I can prep and roll it on.

Advertisement