Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2011, 04:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Color Trends

I searched for something relevant to this topic and recent, but didnt find anything.

We're painting our dining room and living room. It is one huge area separated by a pretty and modern painted rail and also separated being on different floors, as the area is "split level". The kitchen is off of the dining room-medium colored maple cabinets w/ a chocolate glaze, stone floor and wall paper that Id give anything to get rid of, but it is there and doesn't look bad to anyone but me. It is not an open floor plan, so the kitchen is accessed through a typical open doorway, but you can see the decor of the room from the DR and LR.

The DR/LR floors are a medium wood, the furniture is wood and black and couches off white.

Dilemma: Id love to use a grey (although Im not sure which) or a blue (although, you guessed it, Im not exactly sure what blue either.) The house is a modern 1970s split level. One room when you enter the home is a deep warm yellow you would see in a mexican cantina- the large open room behind that is a darker latte color. All with white trim.

Can I use a Grey or something blue in my LR/DR?

**In this picture you can see room separation- and if you look beyond the dining room chair you can see into the kitchen.

So, does the kitchen wallpaper and its colors dictate the color paint I use in the DR/LR? And what's the current color trends? Any suggestions and color recommendations appreciated! (note: ignore the pillow colors on the couch in the pic)

Thanks,
CruiseDivaNJ
Cruise Chatter With CruiseDivaNJ

CruiseDivaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Color Trends

First off. If you don't like the wallpaper why not strip it off?

Some warm grays would look nice with the woodwork. Try one of the virtual painting programs to see flow of color from room to room. They are free and you can try different combinations until you grow tired of it all. I use Ben Moore's all the time in my work. Sherwin Williams has one and I suspect others. You can either pick photos of rooms similar to yours or upload your own pics and mask off the different areas.

One of my gallery clients has used a really nice warm gray sequence for years. It is from an old Sherwin-Williams selector but the store will know it. I probably have some of it out of sequence but parts of it are:

ZURICH WHITE
ARCHITECTURAL GRAY
LANDMARK GRAY
WINDSOR GRAY

I think. Private mail you and I can give you a Benjamin Moore warm gray sequence if that would help.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 12

Color Trends

1st my wife is interior decorator....paper..can be removed.. paint can be changed....colors that stay..cabinets, floor...these can adjust your new wall selections.......soft and netural.... stronger colors from accents.....???????
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
Roy Howard

Color Trends

If you're choosing blue or grey, I would go with grey.
47howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:36 AM   #5

Color Trends

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
First off. If you don't like the wallpaper why not strip it off?

Some warm grays would look nice with the woodwork. Try one of the virtual painting programs to see flow of color from room to room. They are free and you can try different combinations until you grow tired of it all. I use Ben Moore's all the time in my work. Sherwin Williams has one and I suspect others. You can either pick photos of rooms similar to yours or upload your own pics and mask off the different areas.

One of my gallery clients has used a really nice warm gray sequence for years. It is from an old Sherwin-Williams selector but the store will know it. I probably have some of it out of sequence but parts of it are:

ZURICH WHITE
ARCHITECTURAL GRAY
LANDMARK GRAY
WINDSOR GRAY

I think. Private mail you and I can give you a Benjamin Moore warm gray sequence if that would help.
Well, honestly, the primary reason for not removing the kitchen wall paper just yet is.....To do it the right way Id like to remove all the cabinets first, forget removing the wall paper, it would be a lot easier to put new sheetrock up. [side note, when this kitchen was remodeled in 2005, the owners gut the kitchen, installed everything new. With an empty kitchen they hung the paper then installed the cabinets....if they would have gut the kitchen and replaced the sheetrock and painted it would be a no brainer. Obviously we can score around the cabinets and remove the paper- but, not really- because the crown molding at the top of the cabinets....leaves space between the ceiling and molding that you can not get to.

As for color, I am definitely going to use one of the online programs to try & figure this out some more. Feel free to email at my ID at yahoo. Or here Cruise Chatter with CruiseDivaNJ
Old 11-26-2011, 06:41 AM   #6

Color Trends

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
1st my wife is interior decorator....paper..can be removed.. paint can be changed....colors that stay..cabinets, floor...these can adjust your new wall selections.......soft and netural.... stronger colors from accents.....???????
Thanks Ben for the info.

Actually, Im desperately seeking COLOR. Although I see my future of a neutral latte color...lol I just seeing it coming= it is a SAFE color.

I found color very, very easy when I was selling real estate and advising clients= it is easy to play it safe with color using a neutral palette. But, that is not what Im really looking to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47howard View Post
If you're choosing blue or grey, I would go with grey.
47Howard, I agree 100%. Grey's look wonderful with wood floors and wood furniture....
Old 11-26-2011, 07:49 AM   #7

Color Trends

Hello CruiseDiva. Been awhile. How did you make out with the deck? I'm realizing something here. I'm weighing your screen name with your chosen pic. Lovey and Thurston, two unwitting pleasure seeking cruisers, shipwrecked. And you, the cruisediva. Are you a siren? Any good deals on a three hour tour?
As to your question, I think the right blue would be sharp. Gray would work, it works with most everything, but I think blue would be more vibrant. I would suggest you get some poster board, some samples, and a little mini roller kit they sell at the paint stores (made by Shurline and the container it comes in is the roller tray, perfect for making samples). Paint out the posters and you can place them anywhere you like to get a feel for the look throughout the rooms. As to the paper removal, any little tough to get areas I just brush some oil primer on and paint them. You don't want to get into stripping paper, washing, and having to possibly patch in little tiny areas, it will drive you mad.
Joe
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:02 AM   #8

Color Trends

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Hello CruiseDiva. Been awhile. How did you make out with the deck? I'm realizing something here. I'm weighing your screen name with your chosen pic. Lovey and Thurston, two unwitting pleasure seeking cruisers, shipwrecked. And you, the cruisediva. Are you a siren? Any good deals on a three hour tour?
As to your question, I think the right blue would be sharp. Gray would work, it works with most everything, but I think blue would be more vibrant. I would suggest you get some poster board, some samples, and a little mini roller kit they sell at the paint stores (made by Shurline and the container it comes in is the roller tray, perfect for making samples). Paint out the posters and you can place them anywhere you like to get a feel for the look throughout the rooms. As to the paper removal, any little tough to get areas I just brush some oil primer on and paint them. You don't want to get into stripping paper, washing, and having to possibly patch in little tiny areas, it will drive you mad.
Joe

Hi Joe!

The deck came out really good. There are some leftover grey areas we still need to get to, the areas hiding behind bushes. A quick project when the weather gets warm again.

As for wall paper, sigh. I have removed wall paper. Many times in the past. I dont want to do it, ever again. Years ago when we moved into our last home back in the 90's, I removed like 6 rooms of wall paper. I have faux painted on a scaffold. I have successfully redone kitchen cabinets with paint treatments.)

Love the idea of poster board for color because you can move it around the room- since the area we're painting is a large one. We have every paint gadget, brush, roller you can think of. [inclusive of exterior ladder paint gadget things- Please, You dont want to see the garage, lol]

New QOTD: There is an area of wall paper, quite small, above the kitchen sink, surrounding the window that I am seriously contemplating painting over (I cant believe Im saying that, but I am)- is that the complete procedure? Just prime the wall paper.....? Then Paint a couple or a few coats?

We can discuss a three hour tour!
Cruise Chatter with CruiseDivaNJ
Old 11-26-2011, 08:35 AM   #9

Color Trends

You're always going to have a tiny strip of paper somewhere, like between a door/window frame and a wall, or worse, a kitchen cabinet. Depending on the situation, I'll sometimes leave it in place and prime it with the cover stain I use on the rest of the walls after washing. Years ago I stripped out a piece only to find the wall underneath badly damaged. What a nightmare doing that repair, and it still was barely acceptable. Good that is was behind a door that was always open. I could have popped the face of the door jamb, but the trim wasn't being painted. I asked myself why I even took it off in the first place. I fought to get a piece of sound paper off a little tiny sliver of an area and royally screwed myself in the process. If it's sound I leave it be and prime it. That's when I learned the true meaning of leaving sleeping dogs lie. You'll never know when it's finished.
I'm eager for a three hour tour, lol, but your website isn't opening in my browser.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #10

Color Trends

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
You're always going to have a tiny strip of paper somewhere, like between a door/window frame and a wall, or worse, a kitchen cabinet. Depending on the situation, >>>>>>>snip fwd>>>>That's when I learned the true meaning of leaving sleeping dogs lie. You'll never know when it's finished.

I'm eager for a three hour tour, lol, but your website isn't opening in my browser.
You need to be logged on to facebook- then click here and request to join
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cruisedivanj/