Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2011, 12:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Color Recommendation

Hi All,

My wife has pretty much chosen the colors for the walls of the kitchen/den area. It's Prescott Green by Benjamin Moore. For the woodwork, including crown molding, she chose Benjamin Moore White Dove semigloss.

We are talking about the ceiling and are not certain if we should paint it White Dove flat or White flat.

Please give me your recommendations or thoughts on this? Please include your thoughts about painting the woodwork white semigloss if you feel that would be a good idea.

Thank you,
Bob

Bob Guercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 77

Color Recommendation

I have seen ceilings painted the same color as the walls and it looked great. My Buddy had an interior designer pick his colors and they were not tans.

jerzeedivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
Coatings Nerd

Rewards Points: 250

Color Recommendation

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service

Last edited by NCpaint1; 03-07-2011 at 08:10 AM.
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Color Recommendation

Well, here's a few thoughts for you.

(a) let her have her way, even though she may change her mind half way through.
(b) pick your battles. This isn't a subject you need to fight about.
(c) compliment her on her choice of 'paint'; she just made the job a lot easier by not instinctively reaching for Walmart or Behr, or some other $8-a-gallon-paint that you'll overpay for.
(d) don't be a lemming. Paint whatever colour turns your crank, in whatever finish you eventually decide on; don't ask us, we don't live in your house.
(e) there are no rules for colours or for painting...
(f) use this as a learning moment.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ccarlisle For This Useful Post:
tpolk (03-04-2011)
Old 03-04-2011, 08:29 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Color Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle View Post
Well, here's a few thoughts for you.

(a) let her have her way, even though she may change her mind half way through.
(b) pick your battles. This isn't a subject you need to fight about.
(c) compliment her on her choice of 'paint'; she just made the job a lot easier by not instinctively reaching for Walmart or Behr, or some other $8-a-gallon-paint that you'll overpay for.
Solomon himself does not have wiser advice!
Bob Guercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Color Recommendation

Excellent CCarlisle. Just had this converstaion yesterday with someone. Some silly husbands, with all the possible disagreements they could have with their wife, seem to foolishly choose this hill to die on.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Color Recommendation

I didn't hear you say that your wife had already formed an opinion, but rather that she was open to hearing others' thoughts, so here are mine! (I'm a women who does a lot of painting and thinks a lot about colors, sheens, etc., along with a general interest in design).
If I'm painting my ceiling white, I tend to use with the same white for the ceiling as I use for the trim. Usually not a real big issue, but I think this tends to give a somewhat more cohesive look. I can't think of any reason to go out and specifically buy Benjamin Moore White for the ceiling. The only time I might not do that is if the white is a very dark/dirty white and there would be an advantage to having a brighter, more reflective ceiling. At times designers even use for the ceiling a 10% mix of the color they use on the wall, but that's getting more perfectionistic than most people care to be.
As far as semigloss... If you keep in mind that the higher the gloss level the more imperfections show, that might help you decide what you want to use. If your woodwork is in good shape and you like the semigloss, go for it. If not, consider using something with less gloss, as in Satin, or even Benjamin Moore Aquapearl , which I think provides more than enough difference in sheen from their flat or matte finishes (I haven't needed trim paint for a couple of years, so not sure if they still have the Aquapearl). I find both the satin and aquapearl finishes tolerate cleaning quite well.
aquint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:26 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Color Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Guercio View Post
Hi All,

My wife has pretty much chosen the colors for the walls of the kitchen/den area. It's Prescott Green by Benjamin Moore. For the woodwork, including crown molding, she chose Benjamin Moore White Dove semigloss.

We are talking about the ceiling and are not certain if we should paint it White Dove flat or White flat.

Please give me your recommendations or thoughts on this? Please include your thoughts about painting the woodwork white semigloss if you feel that would be a good idea.

Thank you,
Bob
See what suits you. As now a days it is trend to color a single wall and color the other walls too but with some other colors. It looks good too and it is in...!!

Last edited by Watson63; 03-12-2011 at 03:53 AM.
Watson63 is offline   Reply With Quote