Color Help With Kitchen Cabinets - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2011, 07:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Color Help with Kitchen Cabinets

Hello everyone,

I realize that this forum deals more with the actual process of painting and/or refinishing, but I'm still in the decision making process on a minor kitchen reno. The cabinets are oak with a fairly pronounced grain, the counters are bisque colored corian, and the appliances are white. Unfortunately due to cost constraints the corian has to stay (its actually not in bad shape). My plan for now is to paint the cabinets and replace the backsplash.

What color combinations do you think I could get away with that would work with the bisque counters and the white appliances?

I was originally thinking about doing a white or light uppers with a bit more color in the lower cabinets.

Thanks for the help,
Drew

Color Help with Kitchen Cabinets-img_0005-2.jpg
Color Help with Kitchen Cabinets-img_0006-2.jpg

Advertisement

poorstudentOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Color Help with Kitchen Cabinets

You probably want to review colors in the context of the floor, backsplash, the walls, ceiling, decor. The cabinets are a prominent feature of the kitchen and should be part of an overall color scheme. Any color will go with the white and with a little experimentation you could probably make the bisque more appealing than currently. Go to BM, SW and look for palette suggestions, literature that groups colors together. You can find palettes with complementary, monochromatic, anlagous, etc color schemes. BM also has a new booklet that explains color, the color wheel, color schemes. It's very helpful and can help you choose a scheme/palette that will tie everthing together in a colorful, unified way. When you find some colors you like, buy some samples, roll them out on poster board and you can hang them throughout the kitchen in various places and get a feel for how they look. That's better advice than having random colors fired at you from a not so great pic that leaves more questions unanswered than answered. It'll be fun and you'll learn more that way.

Advertisement

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote