Color Is To Dark - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Color is to Dark

If you had paint mixed and when you put the primer on the wall which is the same color that you wanted your paint and the color is to dark with the primer can one have them lighten that paint color up?

Advertisement

nhoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,224

Color is to Dark

Here we go

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (03-11-2012), jsheridan (03-11-2012)
Old 03-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #3

Color is to Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Here we go
Where are we going.

All I want to know is if they can lighten up the paint, an that is all I want to know. Nothing else.

I have 2 gallons of paint that I know is way to dark and I hate to buy 2 more gallons if they can lighten these 2 up.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Color is to Dark

Not really. It takes a bunch more paint to make it lighter, it just takes more tint to make darker.
Always best if you are not sure to buy a small amount - like a qt, to test to make sure it is what you want.
It isn't up to the store to have you like the paint, they make the color you tell them to.
Nailbags (03-10-2012)
Old 03-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #5

Color is to Dark

Would it take much white to do it?

Is it worth it?

Does this happen much?

Thank-You for your help. I am going call ether Sunday or Monday about it.

Is there any thing about letting the primer or paint to cure? If so how long should you wait?
Old 03-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #6
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Color is to Dark

For the dry time- read the can. Its right there. Hiding in plain sight.

No paint store will stand behind a color they have no control over. If you want to get more white and experiment- Id say use a measuring cup and make a proportion- say 2 white to 1 color- adjust using measure until you have a formula- then make sure when you mix a batch you have enough for the whole project- it is a one of a kind color.

Otherwise just get the color you want. Buy a qt like I suggested, and it might be much less hassle and cost in the long run.

This is the last I have to say on the subject- mr asks questions like a 3 year old.
Peace out- again...

Last edited by Brushjockey; 03-10-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brushjockey For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (03-11-2012), Gymschu (03-11-2012)
Old 03-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #7

Color is to Dark

Everything is looking very good this morning and I won't have to lighten the paint up after all.

Why I ask about curing the paint or primer is because I read some where, where it said something about waiting 30 days before you painted or after you primed, than painted.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Color is to Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
Everything is looking very good this morning and I won't have to lighten the paint up after all.

Why I ask about curing the paint or primer is because I read some where, where it said something about waiting 30 days before you painted or after you primed, than painted.

Read it again CAREFULLY
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-12-2012)
Old 03-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Color is to Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
For the dry time- read the can. Its right there. Hiding in plain sight.

No paint store will stand behind a color they have no control over. If you want to get more white and experiment- Id say use a measuring cup and make a proportion- say 2 white to 1 color- adjust using measure until you have a formula- then make sure when you mix a batch you have enough for the whole project- it is a one of a kind color.

Otherwise just get the color you want. Buy a qt like I suggested, and it might be much less hassle and cost in the long run.

This is the last I have to say on the subject- mr asks questions like a 3 year old.
Peace out- again...
You are a patient man
Old 03-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,000

Color is to Dark

For those who come after, when the future is looking back at the past, you can not lighten paint up, it's toast. One gallon of white may not reduce the strength of a gallon of color by one half, as may seem logical. It may barely move it at all. Of course, it depends on the strength of the rejected color. Trying to lighten color by adding white is a fool's errand. You'll end spending more money on paint and time, and make a mess, than simply buying a new, acceptable color. You'll also, after all those gymnastics, not even be sure what you'll end up with colorwise. Work smart. I hope this case is now closed.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-12-2012), Nailbags (03-11-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 05:24 AM   #11
paper hanger and painter

Color is to Dark

[quote=jsheridan;875462]For those who come after, when the future is looking back at the past, you can not lighten paint up, it's toast. One gallon of white may not reduce the strength of a gallon of color by one half, as may seem logical. It may barely move it at all. Of course, it depends on the strength of the rejected color. Trying to lighten color by adding white is a fool's errand. You'll end spending more money on paint and time, and make a mess, than simply buying a new, acceptable color. You'll also, after all those gymnastics, not even be sure what you'll end up with colorwise. Work smart. I hope this case is now closed.[/quote]

wanna bet
Old 03-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,278

Color is to Dark

Ahhhh, the wisdom of Joe Sheridan. Joe is absolutely right. You add some white, check the color, not right, add some more white, check, add again, oops, too much, now color is too light. It is indeed next to impossible to add color to paint & get something near to what you wanted. Sure have learned that lesson the hard way over the years. In the history of foolish ideas, this one ranks 2nd only to calling wallpaper adhesive, GLUE!

Advertisement

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote