Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
Stairguy

Share |

color coming through finish paint

i got some free solid pine doors that were stained dark and urethaned. I gave them a quick sand wiped down with mineral spirits and hit it with BIN primer(shellac based primer by Zinnser). I then spayed a coat of latex white paint. However, I am getting some areas that are a light brown in color as if it is bleeding through the paint. I let everything dry a few days and applied a 2nd coat. It is a little better but still seems to show. What might it be that caused this?I only notices it after i put the latex topcoat on, not after the primer.

Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:40 PM   #2

Sounds like it may be "pinking". Some stained things require two coats of bin 24 hours apart, else they pink. It generally occurs on unsealed stained finishes, and you say the were urethaned. I did a job years ago where I had to coat heavy timber ceiling beams, stained, but had a finish like it was stain/sealer combined. I applied a coat of bin, followed by a coat of flat, which discolored. Tech told me to follow with a 2nd coat of bin after 24 hours. Did the trick. Do a sample spot with a second bin and refinish and see if that works.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:54 AM   #3
Stairguy

it only happened on 2 doors, and i think i may have apllied a coat of finish paint about 2 hrs after putting on primer. The primer seemed dry and on the can it says you can reapply rather quick.may be i should have waited.

I only think that it has urethane because it has a slick somewhat glossy finish. I would assume this is not just the stain. Also it had been stained many years ago...if that matters.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #4

bin is topcoat in 45 minutes, two hours is plenty of time. Two doors out of how many? I can't think of any other reason you may get a brown haze. I wonder if maybe they were clear coated with shellac, and the bin activated it? Don't know. I would try priming again and recoating or call Bin tech people.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
Stairguy

only 2 sides out of the 4 doors. i think i will sand and reapply in the affected areas. One thing i was thinking... right before i primed the doors i wiped them with a rag with mineral spirits...actually paint thinner, but i believe they are the same thing. Since the BIN is shellac based could this have reacted with the paint thinner. Without looking at the can, I believe the solvent for shellac is denatured alcohol. I did notice the door were a little oily from the thinner. Maybe this is the culprit?
Old 04-23-2011, 10:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertyme View Post
only 2 sides out of the 4 doors. i think i will sand and reapply in the affected areas. One thing i was thinking... right before i primed the doors i wiped them with a rag with mineral spirits...actually paint thinner, but i believe they are the same thing. Since the BIN is shellac based could this have reacted with the paint thinner. Without looking at the can, I believe the solvent for shellac is denatured alcohol. I did notice the door were a little oily from the thinner. Maybe this is the culprit?
Since you didn't say what you would "reapply" I'm not sure. I know that if a stain comes through one coat, it's most like going to come through a second coat (when you're talking about finishes, not primers) Personally, I would apply a second coat of BIN, which I have more faith would end the problem. The problem with bleeding is that the worst of the areas appear first and gradually increase in size as the less "toxic" areas begin to migrate to the surface. Over the next couple of weeks/months, you may notice more and worse staining. Keep an eye out.
As to whether the thinner is a cause, if you wiped all the surfaces the problem would more likely involve all the doors, if all the doors had the same surface finish. If the two sides in question are opposite sides of the same slab, it may be that they got a slightly different treatment initially. Hard to say, the possibilities are many.
This is the second thread in a week where thinner was looked at as a possible problem. This is why I generally will not introduce thinner to a surface where an incompatible base is the final finish.
Mineral spirits and thinner are technically the same. The hair get's split when it comes to using certain products which require the one additive MS has that thinner doesn't.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
Veteran Rehabber

Arrow

I had similar problem with old pine trim that I wanted to paint over stain. Old stain and/or knots bled through. 2 coats of BIN primer solved the problem.

CMHbob

Visit my blog for latest project and reno tips!
CMHbob is offline   Reply With Quote