Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2010, 05:48 PM   #1

Share |

Color change issue

MDF door frames and baseboards were painted the same color as our wall - a mild beige. We decided to change them to straight white to brighten the place up. I chose a Sherwin Williams semi-gloss "Extra White" paint to go over the current latex. I asked the sales rep and from my previous experiences, two coats without primer should have more than covered this. I'm noticing some dark lines all over the place. I went back over some of these spots with a third coat and no difference.

Is the paint thin, am I going crazy, or is black mixed into white maybe?

n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #2

Color change issue

It depends on which SG extra White you used. If you used a lower grade then you might have coverage issues. Did you sand the trim and doors before you painted because sometimes a SG will not stick or cover very well over a slick surface.

PaintinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:55 PM   #3

Color change issue

Glossier paints have more resin and less tint. It can sometimes help to find an undercoat with greater amounts of titanium dioxide. A white that actually covers well is a rare and wonderful thing. We always had good luck with SICO Superwhite.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Color change issue

Most whites do have black tossed in to aid in hiding whatever is underneath so you could be right on with your theory about what is happening. Perhaps that pigment is just not mixing in properly. I would try a different can of paint with a different batch lot and see if that helps.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #5

Color change issue

Wow, sounds like it could be any of the reasons I thought of! To answer some of your questions:

- I tried three different batch lots and had the same results.
- I did not scuff/sand the surfaces as they felt like they had enough of a surface to stick to, maybe I was wrong. I did vacuum all of the surfaces and wiped any noticeable stains/spills/buildup.
- The paint was supposedly the higher end stuff - "SuperPaint Interior Acrylic Latex"

I guess at this point I'll try with a third coat now that this stuff is coming up a month of curing. It doesn't look bad until you open up all of the windows and get down on the floor and stare at them up close. Of course, that's exactly what I find myself doing.

Last edited by n0c7; 03-03-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Color change issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0c7 View Post
Wow, sounds like it could be any of the reasons I thought of! To answer some of your questions:

- I tried three different batch lots and had the same results.
- I did not scuff/sand the surfaces as they felt like they had enough of a surface to stick to, maybe I was wrong. I did vacuum all of the surfaces and wiped any noticeable stains/spills/buildup.
- The paint was supposedly the higher end stuff - "SuperPaint Interior Acrylic Latex"

I guess at this point I'll try with a third coat now that this stuff is coming up a month of curing. It doesn't look bad until you open up all of the windows and get down on the floor and stare at them up close. Of course, that's exactly what I find myself doing.

Stop doing that,
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:53 PM   #7

Color change issue

I think I'm done with Sherwin Williams. One of our offices was just painted with contract grade "General Paint" and they painted a beige right over a dark blue with excellent coverage, and I didn't see any primer hit the walls either!

The last time I used Sherwin Williams it cracked in every inside corner as well. Definitely not impressed by the quality of it here in our city. They've got quite the reputation in the states, but definitely not here.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:02 PM   #8
Sprayboy-services.com

Color change issue

Cover it with Behr Ultra Satin. It's thick as clay. If it doesn't work it may just look so bad that you may just want to run away and join the circus. Either way, PROBLEM SOLVED!

Sprayboy is offline   Reply With Quote