Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2012, 02:14 AM   #1

Share |

Which color for bedroom?

Some odd reason I just can't decide on this...
I work nights so I try to make my bedroom as dark as possible. I have blinds and the "darkening" curtains... still planning to add one more panel of curtains hoping for a bit more coverage (cats tend to run through them exposing the window...)

Originally I was going to go with a nice blue like SW paint - 6787 Fountain

Now i'm wondering if that would make the room too bright? I also ended up getting black curtains since the color I wanted was sold out. Although that's not a huge deal I can get different ones...

I'm thinking a grey color like SW 7075 Web Grey
BUT my carpet is a brown color.. not sure it'll look good with this color? I'm leaning a bit more towards Grey with black furniture for the bedroom if it'll look ok with the brown carpet? Then maybe save the blue for the master bathroom?

LilTuffGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:19 AM   #2

Which color for bedroom?

don't go with gray for a bedroom, gray is for the garage like mine is. But we just painted our bedroom after much debate. My wife wanted something lighter and I wanted something darker, we probably put about 20 different color samples on our walls all over. Finally my wife gave in and we painted it a medium dark green. I can't remember the exact color, but it turned out great and we both love it. We left the ceiling white, though I want to eventually paint it a different color, something light, and our trim/baseboard is still white which I love. It gives it a good contrast and the white ceiling makes the room feel lighter and look brighter with the lights on. We also have enough whindows to brighten it up when we want to. But the darker green gives it such a relaxing feeling that we are so comfortable in there now and sleep great. Our bedroom colors are purple, green, and some other greenish color though so the dark green walls fit well. Whatever you do paint it go with a natural tone. The natural colors in a bedroom relaxe you more and help you sleep, i.e. green, red, brown, blue, some oranges work too, etc.

I also work nights so I know how you feel, they sell special curtains that hang on the back of your regular curtains that blocks out all the light besides what gets around them. But my wife sewed them to our curtains and it works really well, just don't get a see through curtain or you can see the outline, it looks horrible that way

Dwillems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #3

Which color for bedroom?

I recommend picking a shade that coordinates with the carpet and other furniture. But that said, i wouldn't be afraid to pick a dark colour, they can look quite dramatic, and suitable for keeping light out.

I've heard a room painted black reduces light by 80%, or something like that...

ARC Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Which color for bedroom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTuffGirl View Post
Some odd reason I just can't decide on this...
I work nights so I try to make my bedroom as dark as possible. I have blinds and the "darkening" curtains... still planning to add one more panel of curtains hoping for a bit more coverage (cats tend to run through them exposing the window...)

Originally I was going to go with a nice blue like SW paint - 6787 Fountain

Now i'm wondering if that would make the room too bright? I also ended up getting black curtains since the color I wanted was sold out. Although that's not a huge deal I can get different ones...

I'm thinking a grey color like SW 7075 Web Grey
BUT my carpet is a brown color.. not sure it'll look good with this color? I'm leaning a bit more towards Grey with black furniture for the bedroom if it'll look ok with the brown carpet? Then maybe save the blue for the master bathroom?
I like that color of blue, but I don't like that gray for a bedroom. Makes me think of a submarine.

I'd suggest painting the room a color you like - one that works with the floor & furniture - and making your room dark by use of shades and maybe also heavy drapes.

In the end, it's your bedroom so you have to pick something you like.

Last edited by DrHicks; 01-10-2012 at 08:49 AM.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #5

Which color for bedroom?

It seems that you're mostly trying to match the brown carpet that you have in the bedroom. There's a scientific approach that you can take to this, and here is the link to a great article about it from this old house magazine. I'm talking about the color wheel, it explains how to use it for finding the best matching paint colors. Also if you do more of a search, I think I remember hearing of a program online that you can take a picture of your room, upload it, and change the colors of paint to see how it might look. It's not perfect, but gives you an idea... if you can find it? I'll try looking for it also when I have some extra time.

Anyways here's the link... http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/phot...161202,00.html
Dwillems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #6

Which color for bedroom?

We actually have a very pretty blue grey for our bedroom and it looks really nice. We also have dark brown blackout curtains since our room gets really bright and the grey/blue looks really nice with the brown curtains, so I wouldn't shrug that off just yet. What color brown is the carpet? A nice golden yellow would look nice with brown and if you get the right shade would not be too bright.

Have you brought home a couple testers of the colors you like?
PaintingTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #7

Which color for bedroom?

It's kinda dark brown?
I'm painting the main room a light brown to go with the couch and all. It's dark green now and I'm not a fan.

I'm not one who really likes many colors or bright ones at that. Which is why I was thinking the blue or grey.

I found a site I can do the color changer thing. Just have to go to work tonight to use it. Only phone for Internet at the house.
LilTuffGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #8

Which color for bedroom?

Light brown would be nice.

You should take some before and after pictures

PaintingTech is offline   Reply With Quote