Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #1

Share |

Clueless noob in need of help

Hi folks, I'm totally clueless when it comes to decorating, my ex-husband wouldn't "let" me help....

So now I'm 40 something, on my own, and not too much of a clue on where to start. So if this is a total idiot question, please be nice!!

I'm re-doing my hall, just paint, nothing fancy. There was torn textured lining paper up before, that had been up since the year dot, so I decided to take it off. Now the walls weren't "that" bad, or so I thought, I've done the obvious filled in the cracks, and the scraper chunks, and the old obvious knocks and dents etc. But I'm left with a "pitted effect" almost on the walls, despite sanding them down.
So, In my wisdom *coughs* I was thinking, how about putting on the base coat first, (pale yellow) then seeing what pit marks still show up afterwards, then putting filler on them if need be, touching up the base coat, and then finally putting on the top coat........

Does this seem a reasonable idea, or am I away with the fairies?

Ps, funds are severely limited, so anything costing more than thruppence ha'penny is out of the question

Last edited by Storm Dancer; 06-15-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Storm Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #2

So Storm Dancer, you said you sanded the wall. Is the wall wood? If it is wood, you can do pretty much anything you want and there will be almost no penalty except a little elbow grease.

If you`re talking sheetrock...
If the paper is still up and you just roughed it to make paint stick then yeah, you can just paint over it and see how it looks. This is what I would do.

If it is latex paint, and the paper is not up and you have a rough finish on the sheet rock paper from the sanding, get some (Elmers glue enough to cover the wall. You can buy a little at a time because when you apply it you will only want a film, not a paint type coat. It will dry clear anyway.), and brush that on the wall and let it dry a couple of days.

Then you can put latex paint over it and see how that looks to you as far as surface finish. The base coat you were calling it. Then if you have to fill in depressions you can do what my wife does and that is buy a box of mud for floating and bedding sheetrock. The guys at the hardware store will know what you want. It is fairly cheap.

Then my wife just keeps adding a little mud, seeing if she likes the surface and after sanding etc. she paints. If you put a little elmers glue in the mud that you are going to use immediately (and only just a little, say a tablespoon per 3 or for lbs of mud. Then it will stick to the latex paint better. Now depending on the colors you have chosen, you may have to prime all this mess before you paint.

KILZ primer is the best as far as I know. It covers a lot of stuff and supposedly doesn`t allow watermarks to leach through the topcoat. I don`t know if this is true since we have never had any watermarks leach through to say it is not true.

Anyway, I am a pretty thrifty guy when it comes to doing stuff like this and the things I put down above are about as inexpensive a solution as my wife and I have found.

I`m sure there will be better suggestions coming shortly but this is one to think about.

Good Luck
MorknMindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #3

Dancer:
You don't at all sound like an idiot.. I'm not going to say much about your solution, but welcome to club awesome. You sound like you'll fit right in
Jan
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

If the walls look bad now, painting them to see if they might look better is not going to work. I promise! And you are just going to have an extra layer of paint or primer you have to sand off. You should bite the bullet, get a nice wide drywall knife and mud pan and learn to skim coat. The good news is drywall mud is not expensive so this project will be mostly about your labor. You can easily sand your mistakes so don't worry about that while you are on the learning curve.

Using Elmer's glue over an entire wall is rather extreme. There is a sealer/primer called Gardz much better suited to the task and if the paper is chewed up you should think about applying it before your skim coating. You will still have to prime your skim coat though.

As for primers, I like Benjamin Moore's Fresh Start for renovation work but like others on this site used a lot of Zinsser products too. The only KILZ primer I ever used was the rattle can stuff and then I had to be pretty desperate and with only a minimal little spot to prime or stain block. KILZ is one of the thinnest and worst primers out there. Even its stain blocking capabilities are limited and dismal compared to other products.

Make sure you buy good quality roller covers, brushes and other tools. It will make your projects easier and you will enjoy them more. And remember. Real paint is sold in paint stores, not box stores.

Good luck. Get back to us and let us know how you do. Even those of us who did this for a living started just like you are.

Last edited by user1007; 06-15-2012 at 01:51 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #5

Storm, if you need to save money on primer, I think there is still a $4.00 rebate per gallon on Zinsser 1-2-3. It's comparable to Fresh Start, and sticks to pretty much everything.
pucks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:31 AM   #6

Thankyou very much for all your advice, it means a lot.

The walls are plaster

I appreciate the suggestion of the lower cost of the brand of paint, however, I'm in the uk, so I think the shipping will kind of offset that :
Storm Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Dancer View Post
Thankyou very much for all your advice, it means a lot.

The walls are plaster

I appreciate the suggestion of the lower cost of the brand of paint, however, I'm in the uk, so I think the shipping will kind of offset that :
That's the problem with this forum not giving member's location by default. Seems a lot of people don't fill that part out....
pucks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #8

Hi there,

My name's Anjna and I am an interior decorator. Where about's do you live?

I am also able to give you ideas for colour, style etc on other rooms of the house also.

Regards,
Anjna
AnjisArtelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnjisArtelier View Post
Hi there,

My name's Anjna and I am an interior decorator. Where about's do you live?
I am also able to give you ideas for colour, style etc on other rooms of the house also.

Regards,
Anjna

An interior decorator that paints

now that just sounds dangerous
maybe in England this is how it's done?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote