Closeout Ben Moore And Valspar Paint -- Do It? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

closeout Ben Moore and Valspar paint -- do it?

Hi! New here. I'm an experienced DIYer, but I revere the advice of others with more knowledge!

Two local stores have a couple of old paint lines to get rid of. The mom and pop lumberyard found a bunch of Ben Moore Colorscapes in their basement when the store recently changed hands. Upon consulting with their Ben Moore rep, they've been cautioned the new tinting 'recipes' aren't going to give results within the company's quality comfort zone. The company suggested throwing the paint away (what a waste!).

The local hardware store has Valspar Laura Ashley paint to get rid of, and the only obvious issue for me is that the selection of 'bases' is limited. I tried to order two gallons of paint for which the formula called for pastel base, but they only had clear, tint, and deep bases remaining. A later google search yielded some info from various sources indicating I could have the store mix the recipe into tint base instead, increasing the color recipe by 10% to adjust for the difference in bases.

Other notes: Both stores are closing out the paint at $10-15/gal. I guess the unopened cans are at least 10 years old. I would use the paint in my basement, children's rooms, and ceilings, where I am less picky about color perfection than in the 'public' rooms of my house.

Can anyone tell me -- should I go for it? Any issues you can think of I'm not aware of? Or are the known issues more risk than the paint is worth?

Advertisement

hindsight2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

but that's just me , personally i don't want to be peeing around with old stock. colors that need tweaking .you can get some inexpensive paint at the box stores that i have used and are very good for the money.

Advertisement

ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

thanks ltd. Even though Colorscapes was a cheaper Ben Moore brand, I've used it in the past and liked it very much, so when I found the opportunity to use it again at an even better price, I thought it might be worth the color risk.

But -- can anyone tell me WHY the Colorscapes wouldn't take the tinting properly? What is it about the new tinting process that is different?
hindsight2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Old paint makes me nervous regardless of brand and especially if you are not sure if the conditions---especially temp---under which it has been stored. I personally would not touch it! I most certainly would strain paint that old before using it.

That said, if it has been sealed and the cans aren't bulging and rusting I guess you could put a gallon on the shaker and then stir it to see what you have? No reason to walk from a great bargain if you found one. I rescued the out of control paint donation section of a Habitat ReStore once (cussing a bit) and found some decent paint hiding amidst the majority of donations there because people were too lazy to deal with it through waste site disposal.

If cost is the issue, look into the contractor grades of real paint store paint. SuperSpec (or I guess it is called UtraSpec now?) from Benjamin Moore and ProMar from Sherwin Williams are great paints and should be $10-12/gallon cheaper than top of the line---before you ask for a discount or apply coupons. They should come in about the same as crappy box store paint cost wise. They do not have the full acrylic content of top line brands and may not be as washable or as colorfast but for something like a kids room that will change every few years it is just fine. I have used many gallons of ProMar on art gallery walls for very discriminating clients.

I don't know for sure about ProMar but the Benjamin Moore Super or Ultra Spec only comes in gallons or larger and in a more limited sheen range than their high end paints.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Just one more thought. $10-15/gallon for decade old paint does not sound that stellar a deal to me! Granted I don't pay retail for paint but I bet if you decide you want this stuff you could make an offer of half that?

When Valspar was sold in lumberyards and non-box stores I am told it was great paint. Its box store versions are not getting rave reviews on this site.

By the way, if you need basic primers, ceiling paint and off whites you may find really nice paint at the Habitat ReStore near you. The one near me had a lot of industrial painters that bought huge amounts in 5ers and would leave brand new buckets that got sold for $10 or so.

Not to take business from local paint stores but I figure they already sold it once. And it keeps people out of box store. Habitat at least gives something back to the communities it serves. Box stores do not.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote