Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #1

Share |

clear silicone

new barn canyou paint over clear silicone it around window called ge waterproof silicone
evelyn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

clear silicone

I high bond primer might stick to a pure silicone for a short time but usually the results are not good. You might switch to something paintable with some silicone in it.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-06-2011)
Old 06-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

clear silicone

They shouldn't sell silicone without warning labels. It does what it does very well- repels everything, including paint. And the resin is very hard to remove.
There are a bunch of ideas about how to fix this, all involve alot of effort.

ANYONE WHO READS THIS-
DO NOT use 100% silicone (unpaintable) on anything that will ever need paint in the next 2000 years. In fact do not use it.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brushjockey For This Useful Post:
ltd (06-06-2011), mustangmike3789 (06-07-2011)
Old 06-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

clear silicone

Brushjockey. It is interesting you raised the point. I seldom use pure silicone caulk for anything and never in a bath or kitchen except maybe under the sink around plumbing and roughed out openings. All it takes is for the front of the cabinets or the tub to settle and you are saying words of the devil while you carve the stuff off and get rid of residue as best you can. Even with practice it is hard to shape into a nice bead like you can with other caulks.

I will use a paintable caulk with some silicone in it at times in wet environments but that is about it.

Where do I use it? There isn't anything better for stuffing exterior or humid environment wire nuts on things like irrigation valves. When I sailed we had a some on hand for a variety of things that came up from time to time on the boat.

Of course I used to use tons of silicone for making molds of antique home details I needed to replicate and it is a great dental impression material for the same reasons.

Last edited by user1007; 06-06-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

clear silicone

If I see a contractor using it around the tub surround against the wall, they WILL get a lecture. And I just don't stop. Some people ought to know, but don't . The rest never knew what hit them.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

clear silicone

My fave of course are the well intentioned that buy the stuff, sometimes in colors, in squeeze tubes and not even giving themselves the advantage of trying to use the pressure and even flow of a caulking gun with a trimmed tip to caulk their own tubs.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:45 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

clear silicone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
If I see a contractor using it around the tub surround against the wall, they WILL get a lecture. And I just don't stop. Some people ought to know, but don't . The rest never knew what hit them.

I have re painted homes where the *&^%$ "painters" used it to caulk EVERYTHING, including ceiling lines. You should have heard what I was mumbling under my breath for days ( or maybe not)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:53 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

clear silicone

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I have re painted homes where the *&^%$ "painters" used it to caulk EVERYTHING, including ceiling lines. You should have heard what I was mumbling under my breath for days ( or maybe not)
Just guessing, Captain & Tennile lyrics? In English?
GE has done an amazing job of marketing and packaging silicone seal though. I do love the way the wording around "probably will never have to replace it" sorts of claims. Ranks right up there with paint/primer in one going on right now with me.

But a consumer that doesn't do this for a living? You stare at something like a caulking gun right out of the weapons dungeons of the 17th Century, a long tube of ammo to go in it (you are not noticing the tube is probably the same price or less than the retail packaging) and then you stare at these convenient 8 oz tubes? And how much could you possibly need? 8-16 oz will certainly do the trick. And the stuff cannot be that hard to squeeze out and smooth or bead into place.

It does bother me when I see contractors overusing it. But then I realize, they will never be back. They have never had to carve the horrid stuff out for a renovation or even to shim up a bath vanity installed wrong or that kids leaned on too much because they were kids.

Last edited by user1007; 06-07-2011 at 06:03 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:54 AM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

clear silicone

And way back to the original post, and in fairness to GE, it has never claimed silicone to be a suitable material for fixing either barn (or whatever) window framing or glazing defects as far as I know.

You never really explained where you planned to use the silicon. Certainly not to glaze the window panes I hope because just wait the response you will get to that!
Old 06-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

clear silicone

Just guessing, Captain & Tennile lyrics? In English?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #11

clear silicone

the clear silicone has turned yellowish & thought we would remove and redo around a built in shower.this is a nightmare. we have tried 3m sealant remover someone suggested & it still won't come off. the gold finish around the glass has been damaged from scraping. it was not leaking just looked bad. if i had it to go over, i would leave alone until i wanted to take down the glass & doors.
flossie is offline   Reply With Quote