Clear Rustoleum On Brown Security Door - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Clear rustoleum on brown security door

Hello all,

I hope this is the right sub-forum for this question

I bought a nice almond brown security door and the the guy sold it to me mentioned to apply clear rustoleum to both sides so the metal door doesn't rust when water gets on it due to rain, splashes, etc. I did this on the weekend and today I realized I did a terrible job. There are visible streaks on the door now and it looks horrible. It is clear though. Can I still apply another coat on top of my other one (this time done correctly) to fix the streaks?

Here is the link to the product I was recommended: https://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=166

I can post pictures of the door once I get home, but I feel so stupid for doing a horrendous job. I thought I just had to spray it and it wouldn't effect the look of the door as it is 'clear' Stupid me!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Advertisement

BobSingly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,272

Well, a couple thoughts from an old-timer. One, was a clear coat necessary? I don't think so. Paint is more than sufficient to offset any moisture issues, etc. To me the clear coat complicates any repaint efforts in the future as that clear stuff must be sanded off before the door could ever be repainted. Usually any rust/rot issues with metal doors comes from condensation that occurs INSIDE THE DOOR.

At this point, I would say apply more coats of that clear finish. I'm guessing this is some sort of lacquer? If so, it takes multiple thin coats before it starts to looking good. Again, I think this step was completely unnecessary, but, if he recommended it and you are deep into the process, well, you must keep going!

Advertisement

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Well, a couple thoughts from an old-timer. One, was a clear coat necessary? I don't think so. Paint is more than sufficient to offset any moisture issues, etc. To me the clear coat complicates any repaint efforts in the future as that clear stuff must be sanded off before the door could ever be repainted. Usually any rust/rot issues with metal doors comes from condensation that occurs INSIDE THE DOOR.

At this point, I would say apply more coats of that clear finish. I'm guessing this is some sort of lacquer? If so, it takes multiple thin coats before it starts to looking good. Again, I think this step was completely unnecessary, but, if he recommended it and you are deep into the process, well, you must keep going!
Gymschu, Yes, that thought has been in my head ever since I went down this road. I really don't think it was necessary, but I did start the process and I don't think there is a way to get rid of the already clear coated parts. I am just going to have to finish it off clean, which might be a task. I do not ever plan on re-painting this security door, so that is a benefit. I am going to check if there is a non-rattle bottle of this clear coat so I can maybe use a roller to put it on. Ugh, I should have posted here before listening to the Lowe's guy. Made my life more complicated that it should be.
BobSingly is offline   Reply With Quote