Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Cleaning- Zinsser BIN Primer

Please give me an idea- I've wrecked two good paint brushes. When using Zinsser BIN primer what is the best thing to use for cleaning brushes and paint buckets? I've tried paint thinner, acetone and brake kleen- no luck. My only other thought was minerial spirits but didn't think that would work. Is this something you just use a cheesy brush and throw it away after? Please let me know. Thanks.

DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

It is shellac based- and cleans with denatured alcohol. Some say ammonia also works, but I just use Denatured. Because it is neither water based or oil based is what makes it such a good sealer.

Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
ltd

Rewards Points: 504

when my good brushes have seen better days they become primer brushes . after your done using bin just pitch.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Hmmm, says on the can denatured alcohol or 50-50 ammonia and water.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:55 AM   #5
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 514

Denatured Alcohol is the best thing to cleanup after BIN with. However, its still pain. A cheap brush to throw away afterward will be a better investment than spending big bucks on cans of alcohol.
hammerheart14 (06-19-2011)
Old 06-07-2011, 06:06 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

If the brush is hardened from BIN, it's trash. Even if a quality brush, the time and material required to clean, and the inferior brush you'll have after, make this effort an actual loss. I work with BIN on a regular basis and have never once used denatured alcohol. Well, maybe the first couple of times, until I got smart. Firstly, if you wrap a BIN brush well in plastic it will last for months. Usually you'll find one wrapped in my gear to do spot priming, which then gets re-wrapped for the next time. Secondly, ammonia is excellent for cleaning BIN brushes. One gallon of ammonia is a few bucks, one quart of alcohol is around ten, you tell me. It didn't use to specify ammonia as a cleaning solution on the can, that's fairly new wording.
Poppameth, I experience no pain, other than the smell, when using ammonia. You need to change up, you're working too hard. Ammonia is much simpler/less work than alcohol.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:58 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,034

I am usually with the cheap brush for Bin if there is more than just a couple spots to prime. If it's just a couple spots then get the spray can. You can use it till it's gone and it will cost less than 3 or 4 cheap brushes.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I am more or less out of the game now but years ago, I started bidding on eBay for lots of nice brushes with sizes and things I could once never imagine no use for ever having just to get the 2.5-3.0 angled sash ones for both acrylic and oil I used all the time. Real auctioned lots of Purdy and Wooster brushes folk.

You know what the skags ended up coming in handy for?

I guess you could classify them as cheap brushes but they had wood handles and felt right in my hand. Did I bother to chase down alcohol, acetone, ammonia to clean them? Please. Some disagree with me but I don't spend 30 minutes and water at 10 gallons per minute to rinse out of $2/retail roller covers either.

I know I preach quality brush ownership and care on this site. But when it comes to saving a brush with the amounts of chemicals you need to clean BIN out of the bristles. Forget it.

And especially if you bought 10 brushes with plastic handles at a box store to start. Good luck.

So I guess my concept in this thread concept is their can be sacrificial paint brushes. I am sticking by my belief there is no such thing as a cheap paint brush. I will concede to the possibility of a well shopped and inexpensive brush.

As mentioned, keep the air off your BIN laden brush with plastic and just pronounce it dead when gone.

- Steven

Last edited by user1007; 06-07-2011 at 11:32 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:34 AM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
As mentioned, keep the air off your BIN laden brush with plastic and just pronounce it dead when gone.

- Steven
Did not mean to type that reference.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,000

I think we're losing track here. I don't understand the debate over the quality of brush when priming. It's one thing to use a chip/throwaway brush to spot prime knots with BIN, but not every BIN application is such. I use BIN at times as a full prime on finish trim, therefore I need a quality brush. Who uses cheap brushes just because it's primer, whether bin or knot (pun intended)? Worn out brushes have their place as primer choices, and I've been there, but that is only really the choice an experienced painter should make. I don't think it good policy to recommend that to DIYs, or to indirectly infer it. When I do finish work, I use finish brushes, whether it's the prime coat or the top coat.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote