Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

cleaning roller sleeves

Is there a trick to cleaning roller sleeves? It seems no matter how much I rinse them I caqnnot get all the paint out. I only paint my house so it is not a big exepnse to toss them, but it would be nice to reuse them.

beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
New Look Painting & Textu

Rewards Points: 10

cleaning roller sleeves

yes they make a tool to spin them out with. Scrape off as much of the wet paint as you can with a brush and roller cleaner, rinse it off with water or thinner depending on type of paint. Put it on the tool spin it out, rinse again, spin it out again repeat till it is clean. Takes some time probally not worth it for some one who is only painting at home

voiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:04 PM   #3

cleaning roller sleeves

Scrape the paint off the roller with a 5 in 1. Then rinse most of the paint off of roller. Taking it off the frame and cleaning the inside of the frame out as well.
Then hang the roller and frame over a empty 5gal bucket with the roller handle inside the bucker and spin the cover with spray nozzle or your finger. This will spin the water out of the sleeve. Doing it behind the bucket will keep the water from spraying back onto your feet.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

cleaning roller sleeves

If you use that 5in1 tool to scrape your cover, you will see right quick why it took so long to clean before. Great tool. Even if your are throwing out the cover, you still save a lot of paint. Only draw back if there is one, I find that after 4-5 or so cleanings with the scraper, that the coat gets messed up some, so I toss it.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:57 PM   #5

cleaning roller sleeves

they make a tool that you put your sleeve on. You pull out on the handel then push back in and it spins your sleeve trowning all of the paint out of the sleeve picked mine up at menards for aroung $12.00. Just use 5 in 1 tool or a brush comb to get most of the paint offfirst then rinse put it on the tool spin it out. You may have to rinse and spin it out a few times to get all of the paint out.Let the sleeve dry and it is ready to use. I have sleeves that I have used as many a 10 times before having to throw the out
Old 12-12-2008, 10:01 PM   #6

cleaning roller sleeves

Also for the small 7 in cut in sleeves with the plastic buttom on the end get a 3/8 dowl rod about 10 inches long slide it in the sleeve then chuck it in your drill and spin it out
Old 12-12-2008, 10:20 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

cleaning roller sleeves

Beerdog:

I own a small apartment block, so I'm always painting, and about the fastest, easiest and best way I've found to clean latex paint out of roller sleeves is as follows:

1. Use a HomeRight sleeve cleaner to wash the paint out of the roller. This gadget was originally made only as an accessory to the HomeRight PaintStick, but it works on every roller sleeve. Just connect it to the male hose thread on your laundry room sink faucet's spout:

Any place that sells the HomeRight PaintStick will also sell the accessories for it, including this sleeve cleaner. Try Sears.

2. After cleaning the latex paint out of the sleeve, I spin dry the sleeve with a tool I made:

Take the cage off a 3 inch roller frame and slide a 6 inch long 1/4 inch diameter bolt through it. Then slide on a short piece of 1/4 inch ID rubber hose, slide on a washer and a 1/4 inch nut. You use the nut to tighten the grip on the 3 inch roller sleeve so that the roller starts spinning when you turn the drill on, and stops when you turn the drill off.

Insert that tool into an electric drill and slide the wet roller sleeve onto the 3 inch roller cage. Hold the wet sleeve inside a 5 gallon pail and spin the roller sleeve with it. The centrifugal force will have 95% of the water out of the roller within a few seconds so that you can use it right away with different latex paint. My Ryobi drill has a belt clip on the top, so I can hook that belt clip onto the edge of a 5 gallon pail, hold the drill trigger down and depress the "Hold" button so it spins by itself inside the pail. I just have to come back in a minute or two to a nearly dry roller sleeve.

By cleaning my roller sleeves this way, I get almost all the paint out of them so that they stay relatively "fluffy" longer. After using them about 5 or 6 times for latex paints, I save them and use them for oil based painting, and then throw them away.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 12-12-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 06:13 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,192

cleaning roller sleeves

http://www.rejuv-a-roller.com/
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:38 AM   #9

cleaning roller sleeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I have one of these as well and it is alright too. I just seemed to of went back to the old school way.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:00 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

cleaning roller sleeves

It is hardly a quality tool but it gets the job done.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:02 PM   #11

cleaning roller sleeves

Yeah mine never seemed to get the edges really clean. I use a lot of 2-1/4" core jumbo lambskin rollers and they do not fit in it. Plus i like to keep the lambsies as clean as possible.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:30 AM   #12

cleaning roller sleeves

I have one of those paint stick things, but the spinner did the trick. I bought one today. I was suprised how effective it was. Great advice!
beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:26 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,058

cleaning roller sleeves

If I can use a sink with a flat bottom that I can work the roller back and forth on than that helps a lot. Rinse, spin, rinse, spin, rinse spin. Warm water is always better. Everything disolves better in warm water.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:07 AM   #14
Quasi Painter

cleaning roller sleeves

One of the local paint stores should sell a device that has worked well for me in the past...it is a cylinder that you push the sleeve into after you have removed most of the paint with the 5in1...It has 2 un-screwable caps on either end... you can connect the male end of a hose to one and the waste comes out the other...It's the same concept as the sink faucet attatchment but is usable anywhere...
alittleboutalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:13 AM   #15
paper hanger and painter

cleaning roller sleeves

See post above with a link to this tool

http://www.rejuv-a-roller.com/