Cleaning Paint Brushes-After Latex - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 189
Rewards Points: 170
Default

Cleaning Paint Brushes-After Latex


I've been using some mid-grade brushes and I clean them with hot water, a wire brush, and then spin them dry. I am buying some high end brushes to paint my trim and was wondering if the wire brush may ruin the bristles?

I've seen that Purdy sells a brush comb and that is what they recommend. Think a wire brush is bad and I should get a comb?

How do you clean your brushes after using latex?

Advertisement

HandyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 3,590
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Cleaning Paint Brushes-After Latex


no need for the wire brush. Before using the brush with latex, soak it in water to condition it. Then the paint will not wick into the heel, which makes it harder to clean. Search on youTube for some good videos on cleaning a brush.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 189
Rewards Points: 170
Default

Cleaning Paint Brushes-After Latex


Good tip on soaking the brush, i'll try that.

I did a YouTube search and most people were washing them out, some using wire brushes, some using brush combs, and others just flexing it under the water until it ran clear.
HandyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 3,590
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Cleaning Paint Brushes-After Latex


Quote:
others just flexing it under the water until it ran clear.
Easiest on the brushes.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
"Beam me up, Scottie"
 
Kevin M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Omaha, Ne.
Posts: 194
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Cleaning Paint Brushes-After Latex


Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyFrank View Post
I've been using some mid-grade brushes and I clean them with hot water, a wire brush, and then spin them dry. I am buying some high end brushes to paint my trim and was wondering if the wire brush may ruin the bristles?

I've seen that Purdy sells a brush comb and that is what they recommend. Think a wire brush is bad and I should get a comb?

How do you clean your brushes after using latex?
You can use a grout or stripping brush. Allway makes a nice small rigid nylon brush. Page 21 listed as a stripping-grout brush.

http://www.allwaytools.com/2008cat/allway2008.pdf

Don't ever use brush and roller cleaner in the can, it will reduce the firmness in the bristles. If you have dried paint, Murphy's oil soap works pretty good. Load up the brush, wrap it in foil and let it sit for a day. It loosens the paint and conditions the brush both.

Certain quick dry primers are also hard on a brush. I usually have an old Purdy laying around for priming.

Kevin
Kevin M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:30 AM   #6
Member
 
firehawkmph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Near Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,585
Rewards Points: 1,002
Default

Cleaning Paint Brushes-After Latex


Frank,
After getting the excess paint out by rinsing, I use liquid dishwashing soap and work it into the brush, then I clean it with a stainless steel choir girl pad. I push the brush into the bottom of the washtub like you would to cut in a corner, in order to fan the bristles out. I stroke the bristles only in the direction of starting at the heel and going towards the tip. Rinse out the soap and spin a few times. Then make sure you smooth the brush back into it's normal shape and put it back in the cover to dry. If you don't have a cover, double up a paper towel and fold it around the brush and put a piece of tape on it or a rubber band. I have been cleaning them this way for over 30 years and still have some brushes that are over 20 years old and in good shape.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:30 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Cleaning Paint Brushes-After Latex


I find that rinsing brushes out as they start to build up makes them easier to clean at the end. I do clean thoroughly after each use. I use either diswashing soap or shampoo. I've had some luck with the paint remover and brush conditioner you can buy at a fine arts store. I usually do as suggested in one post and start new brushes off as trim brushes, cycle them for use with flat latexes, and finally use them for primers before retiring them. I wouldn't use a wire brush. The plastic combs are fine.

With possible exceptions for some applications where the brush is likely to be destroyed, I only use quality brushes. The low end ones are worthless and even most of the mid-range ones are not constructed well and I find I cannot trust them so they slow me down. I love supporting my local paint stores but every now and them find bundles of nice Purdy's and Woosters on eBay that I cannot pass up bidding on.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 189
Rewards Points: 170
Default

Cleaning Paint Brushes-After Latex


Great tips everyone!
I will be referring back to this post as I get painting projects done over the next few days/weeks/months.
Thanks
HandyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
"Beam me up, Scottie"
 
Kevin M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Omaha, Ne.
Posts: 194
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Cleaning Paint Brushes-After Latex


Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Frank,
After getting the excess paint out by rinsing, I use liquid dishwashing soap and work it into the brush, then I clean it with a
Quote:
stainless steel choir girl pad
. I push the brush into the bottom of the washtub like you would to cut in a corner, in order to fan the bristles out. I stroke the bristles only in the direction of starting at the heel and going towards the tip. Rinse out the soap and spin a few times. Then make sure you smooth the brush back into it's normal shape and put it back in the cover to dry. If you don't have a cover, double up a paper towel and fold it around the brush and put a piece of tape on it or a rubber band. I have been cleaning them this way for over 30 years and still have some brushes that are over 20 years old and in good shape.
Mike Hawkins
Hi Mike,

OK, I'm not ashamed to admit I have no idea what a stainless steel choir girl pad is. It sounds evil, or at least oppressive. Stainless steel and choir girl seem be to non connecting in any and all situations. As far as how the pad relates? never mind. LOL!!

Is this vernacular inclusive or relative to the Ohio area, or am I so back woodsy, mid west conservative that I am unaware or this particular terminology.

Before I go into Home Depot and ask for a Stainless steel choir girl pad, would you give me something tangible, so I won't be embarrassed

Thanks MIke,
Kevin
Kevin M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:48 AM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Cleaning Paint Brushes-After Latex


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M. View Post
Before I go into Home Depot
Don't do it for your paint supplies!

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flat over Semi-Gloss dankreboot Painting 21 02-24-2013 08:46 PM
semi gloss enamel vs eggshell enamel NoExperience Painting 18 03-05-2009 05:57 AM
Flashing NoExperience Painting 13 09-04-2008 06:56 AM
oil base paints NoExperience Painting 30 09-04-2008 06:37 AM
Semi gloss on Semi gloss mattpricemn Painting 6 08-25-2008 08:18 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts