DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Painting (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/)
-   -   Church Fellowship Hall Paint (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/church-fellowship-hall-paint-191149/)

DrHicks 11-28-2013 10:13 AM

Church Fellowship Hall Paint
 
So the church I'm part of is going to be repainting our basement/fellowship hall in a few weeks. The walls are studded, insulated drywall - not concrete block. Carpet floor, suspended ceiling. Because we have several carpenter/craftsmen types in the church, we're doing the work ourselves. We'll patch & skim-coat imperfections, etc. Several women, who actually AREN'T color-blind, are going to be choosing the color(s).

My question is, what sheen of paint would you recommend?


Here's the caveat... This is an extremly heavy use room that is also used for kids' activities. And when I say "heavy use" I MEAN heavy use... (We set up & take down mobile dividers, making it both classrooms and a large hall.)

My personal preference would be to stay with satin sheen, but would a semi-gloss provide better clean-ability? Is it worth the trade-off?

Gymschu 11-28-2013 12:13 PM

Normally I don't recommend a Semi-Gloss just because it telegraphs ALL the imperfections in the drywall, but……..in this case, the SG will give you more durability and you will be able to scrub off the marks left by kids banging into the walls leaving black marks, etc.

ToolSeeker 11-28-2013 08:20 PM

^^^^agree. And with the kids and heavy use it will probably have more dings shortly. And semi is really not as bad as gloss.

alexjoe 12-04-2013 02:01 PM

SG is more reliable

DrHicks 12-04-2013 03:16 PM

Thanks guys - you've more or less reaffirmed what I was thinking, which is leaning toward semi gloss.

Thing is, we use dividers most of the time, so the "sight line" is broken, which means the sheen won't be so noticeable, nor will the imperfections.

ric knows paint 12-04-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrHicks (Post 1274705)
Thanks guys - you've more or less reaffirmed what I was thinking, which is leaning toward semi gloss.

Thing is, we use dividers most of the time, so the "sight line" is broken, which means the sheen won't be so noticeable, nor will the imperfections.

Hey Doc,

I seem to remember a while back you said you had used some Diamond Vogel Paints in your area...They have a really high quality pre-catalyzed (single component) WB Epoxy called Eas-E-Poxy that's available in an eggshell finish and in tint bases - and would provide plenty of protection for the traffic you've described...You might want to check it out. Good luck.

DrHicks 12-04-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ric knows paint (Post 1274709)
Hey Doc,

I seem to remember a while back you said you had used some Diamond Vogel Paints in your area...They have a really high quality pre-catalyzed (single component) WB Epoxy called Eas-E-Poxy that's available in an eggshell finish and in tint bases - and would provide plenty of protection for the traffic you've described...You might want to check it out. Good luck.

Whoa - does this mean we should use that instead of Behr? :laughing:


Actually, we just had a new SW Store open up very close to my house. Do you have a suggested line of SW paint I should look at?

ric knows paint 12-04-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrHicks (Post 1274711)
Whoa - does this mean we should use that instead of Behr? :laughing:


Actually, we just had a new SW Store open up very close to my house. Do you have a suggested line of SW paint I should look at?

I'm sure SW does have a similar product, but I'm not sure what it's called...I just recently had the opportunity to do some testing with this Eas-E-Poxy, and I was really impressed with it...um...you might want to ixnay the Behr idea for this particular project though...

ToolSeeker 12-04-2013 09:47 PM

Ric it's Proindustrial precatalized water based epoxy. That's a mouthful.

ric knows paint 12-05-2013 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToolSeeker (Post 1274879)
Ric it's Proindustrial precatalized water based epoxy. That's a mouthful.

Thanks, TS - for the Doc's sake, I wonder if it's available in an eggshell finish?

ToolSeeker 12-05-2013 07:13 AM

Yes egg shell and semi. If Doc looks at paint talk under General Discussion the thread pre-cat there is a really good read about it from people who have used it.

DrHicks 12-05-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToolSeeker (Post 1274959)
Yes egg shell and semi. If Doc looks at paint talk under General Discussion the thread pre-cat there is a really good read about it from people who have used it.

I'll head that direction. Thanks guys!

DrHicks 12-18-2013 09:50 AM

Hey gents - wanted to give you an update. Just last night we finished up the Fellowship Hall painting.

We ended up using SW Pro Industrial Latex Epoxy. The store manager said it's what most schools are now using in their gymns & other high traffic areas. He thought it'd be best for our basement, where we constantly have kids' activities going on.
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home...erbased-epoxy/

We decided to use the Satin Sheen. It rolled on VERY nicely, and cut-in brushing was good too - although I did notice that it dries to a bit of a "tack" pretty quickly. I noticed that, as it dries completely, he brush & roller marks really smooth out nicely, and it leaves a very very smooth finish.

We used Harmonic Tan (SW 6136) in satin sheen. This is a sample image:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-e...0/IMG_2893.JPG

Here is a picture of the (not completely dried) actual basement/fellowship hall. Obviously lighting has a great deal to do with the look of the color.
https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...06729893_n.jpg


As I said earlier, there's a new SW Store very near my house - fantastic! And this one has a manager that wants business, so it's a pleasure doing business there. This paint has a list price of $65 per gallon, and he sold it to us for $35. I think they've won over another customer.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved