Which Choice Of Paint? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 780

which choice of paint?

This is the weekend I've been waiting for, to buy all the paint for my new house. I'm excited. Except I don't know which type.

After reading all the posts here I decided to pay more and go with the Paint Store paint. I've spent a lot of time debating the color chips from the Paint Store. I asked them the price and the guy said $35-$60.

I've read that Aura can leave roller marks. I read about Cashmere and seems there are mixed reviews with half not liking it. I can't pay $ 60 even on sale.

Are there recommendations for a novice but enthused painter that's a middle of the road price?

thanks

Advertisement

Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 610

which choice of paint?

Sherwin Williams Super paint.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-26-2012), ltd (05-25-2012), Startingover (05-26-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

which choice of paint?

Inside or out? Wall, trim, ceilings? Preferred sheens? Doing repair work?
All have different answers for specific coatings.

General recomendations for decent middle priced paint- Super Paint is a good choice- Ben Moore's "Ben" line, Muralo ceramic, there's plenty more.
Startingover (05-26-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 254

which choice of paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startingover View Post
This is the weekend I've been waiting for, to buy all the paint for my new house. I'm excited. Except I don't know which type.

After reading all the posts here I decided to pay more and go with the Paint Store paint. I've spent a lot of time debating the color chips from the Paint Store. I asked them the price and the guy said $35-$60.

I've read that Aura can leave roller marks. I read about Cashmere and seems there are mixed reviews with half not liking it. I can't pay $ 60 even on sale.

Are there recommendations for a novice but enthused painter that's a middle of the road price?

thanks
Hiya Startingover...

I always find this topic interesting 'cause it would seem the only choices the consumer has is Big Box Brands (primarily Valspar or Behr) or the National Brands of Sherwin Williams or Ben Moore...It's unfortunate that manufacturers, such as Behr and Valspar, appears to have lowered their quality over the years to satisfactorily maintain their relationship with the Home Depot and Lowes respectively...On the other hand, Sherwin and Ben Moore seem to be out of their minds with their exorbitant retail prices and frenetic price increases.

Here's a viable alternative. Talk to your Local INDEPENDENT Paint Dealer - He/She is not only going to carry a national brand, but most likely will carry a high quality regional brand as well. Depending on the particular advice or recommendation they provide, you're going to find that so many regional manufacturers have product lines equal to, or greater than the quality level of the national brands...and often times at prices more similar to that of the big box chains - and with you being from central Florida, you have one of the best right in your backyard with Richards Paint...Color Wheel also makes some pretty decent products, manufactured right there in the ol' sunshine state.
The advantage to a product manufactured in your own state, especially with the temperature and atmospheric considerations of a state like Florida, is the fact that their products are manufactured to combat the specific elements you and your neighbors face on a daily basis.

Please understand, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Sherwin or Ben Moore...nor am I saying there is something horribly wrong with big box brands. Personally, I have tested, tried, compared, and even copied more brands of paint than most painters even knows exist, so simply from the perspective of Quality, Performance and Value, don't overlook regional manufacturers - and, especially don't disregard the more objective - and valuable - product, preparation and application knowledge that, so often times, only an independent dealer can offer.

Ok...I'll jump down from my soap box now. Good luck to you.

Last edited by ric knows paint; 05-26-2012 at 05:55 AM.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ric knows paint For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,224

which choice of paint?

Got a Pittsburgh Paint dealer near you? They have quality paint that is a little less expensive. As posted it depends on what you are doing.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

which choice of paint?

i think s/w is on sale this week .super paint is my every day paint . very good easy to apply about 35 bucks on sale.with that said dont discount behr ultra about 35 bucks every day ,sorry chris
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-26-2012), Startingover (05-26-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 254

which choice of paint?

chrisn ..."Got a Pittsburgh Paint dealer near you? They have quality paint that is a little less expensive. As posted it depends on what you are doing." ...

ltd ..."i think s/w is on sale this week .super paint is my every day paint . very good easy to apply about 35 bucks on sale.with that said dont discount behr ultra about 35 bucks every day ,sorry chris"...

ay-yi-yi...again with the nationals...(sigh)

Last edited by ric knows paint; 05-26-2012 at 05:58 AM.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ric knows paint For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2012, 11:22 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

which choice of paint?

Don't forget nice primer! There is no such thing as primer and paint in one!

And invest in nice painting tools. Don't even look at those bag-o-brushes for $5. Get a couple nice, angled 2.5 inch sash brushes and expect to pay $15 or so retail for them. Get some decent drop cloths.

Also get yourself a nice, sturdy and safe ladder or system matched to your ceiling height if you do not already have one.

And on sale or not, don't be shy about asking your paint store for a discount if painting your entire place. They will help you out. You won't get it if you don't ask for it though!

Last edited by user1007; 05-25-2012 at 11:26 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2012, 01:06 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 626

which choice of paint?

I like Do it best paint made by SW it is equal to super paint at a 1/4 of the price. I can get it 117.00 for five.
Because your in Florida look in to this paint company they are local and make the paint locally. Color wheel paint. that is the name of the company. small but pro paint store.

Last edited by Nailbags; 05-26-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nailbags For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2012, 02:37 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

which choice of paint?

Ben Moore "Regal Classic" Eggshell walls, "Regal Select" semi-gloss trim, and "watorborne ceiling paint". Try one time and you're likely to be a fan for life. High quality stuff at reasonable prices. Set up a store account ans you'll get a small discount from retail prices.
pucks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pucks101 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #11

which choice of paint?

Guess I thought you could read my mind

Doing interior of my new house. First task is 3 rooms. And I did buy a good sash brush. Yes, definitely priming.

Not a painting question but painters would know. If it okay to wash up paint equipment when you're on a septic? I guess there's no choice.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #12

which choice of paint?

different topic - moved to new post

Advertisement