Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2010, 06:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

chipping, cracking layers of paint-possible calcimine

My 1930's built house has 3 rooms with (ugly) textured walls and coves. Over the past years the top layers of latex paint have been chipping and cracking off steadily, revealing an oil paint beneath. As I was preparing the walls in the living room for paint (scrape, sand, wash with TSP) the paint loss was neverending. Uncovered during the prep was a surface that may possibly be calcimine - it is green colored and very chalky. After researching this I decided to bite the bullet and just get all of the old paint layers off and start fresh since the amount of patching for all of the uneven paint layers would have taken me forever anyways. What i found were more areas of the green but also areas of what I think is the plaster(white). The old paint pretty much just falls off the walls if I get a loose edge started. It is very crispy. My question is this: if I get the calcimine washed off what would be the best next step? I want the texture GONE and it seems to be easily smoothed with light sanding - is this a viable option? Or would a skim coat be a better idea?

doornumber3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:38 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,096

After the calcimine is completly gone , prime with an oil based primer, and paint.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
After the calcimine is completly gone , prime with an oil based primer, and paint.
Thanks for the reply. Which is preferable - BM calcimine recoater or can you recommend something else? Will I be ok sanding the texture off of the old plaster to smooth it out?

One more question: is milk paint the same as calcimine? My dad always used to tell me that was probably what was causing the paint failure. I know nothing about any of this except what I've learned from searching this forum - lots of information here!
Old 04-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #4

I've attached a couple of photos to show what I'm working with. Thanks again for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
chipping, cracking layers of paint-possible calcimine-livingroom001.jpg   chipping, cracking layers of paint-possible calcimine-livingroom002.jpg  
Old 04-18-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,096

Quote:
Originally Posted by doornumber3 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Which is preferable - BM calcimine recoater or can you recommend something else? Will I be ok sanding the texture off of the old plaster to smooth it out?

One more question: is milk paint the same as calcimine? My dad always used to tell me that was probably what was causing the paint failure. I know nothing about any of this except what I've learned from searching this forum - lots of information here!

BM recoater is perfect
sanding, yes or prime and skim it out
milk paint, that I don't know,I think not but am not sure
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:

Milk paint is different from calcimine. Calcimine was used with plaster walls because it was unaffected by the ph levels of the plaster while it was curing. Because it was essentially a chalk based paint, eventual failure is almost guaranteed. Milk paint on the other hand was/is made from (I believe) curdled mild and is extremely durable. I have read that it was not often used as a coating for homes, but rather as a furniture paint.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:35 AM   #7

Thanks again for all of your help.
So after seeing the photos do you think the green color is the calcimine? It's very weird how it comes off on the back of some of the old paint and sticks in other places. It definately is very chalky and even the white plaster has a chalky feel (though not nearly as much as the green). My dining room has a goldish brown color that is acting like the green color. Sigh
Old 05-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #8

Update:
I successfully removed all of the old paint from the walls and coves. Now for the next issue:

The texture part of the plaster is very powdery - it literally falls off the walls with a mild scrape of a razor/scraper. Underneath is the hard plaster. Sooooo I am removing the powdery texture by scraping, and I will most likely need to skim a smooth coat to finish.

What product do I use to skim? What do I use to prime, and do I do prime prior to the skim coat?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 05-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Update:
I successfully removed all of the old paint from the walls and coves. Now for the next issue:

The texture part of the plaster is very powdery - it literally falls off the walls with a mild scrape of a razor/scraper. Underneath is the hard plaster. Sooooo I am removing the powdery texture by scraping, and I will most likely need to skim a smooth coat to finish.

What product do I use to skim? What do I use to prime, and do I do prime prior to the skim coat?

Thanks in advance!!!
I was involved in a similar situation in my house and I skimmed the walls with Durabond 90 (brown bag) which dries to a very hard, plaster like finish. I skimmed on top of that with ordinary joint compound, then primed 2 coats with latex primer. My walls look really good.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows View Post
I was involved in a similar situation in my house and I skimmed the walls with Durabond 90 (brown bag) which dries to a very hard, plaster like finish. I skimmed on top of that with ordinary joint compound, then primed 2 coats with latex primer. My walls look really good.
That sounds like what I will need to do. Did you prime the bare plaster prior to applying the Durabond?