Chinex Or Soft Nyulon/poly Brush For Trim? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Chinex or soft nyulon/poly brush for trim?

I am getting conflicting advice (imagine that) about the best type of brush to use for interior water-based enamel on trim. I would appreciate your general opinions on the best is approach for a person with moderate cutting skills.

A BM guy last night advised me to use a Corona Chinex but others say a soft nylon/poly is a better approach. Chinex seems so stiff, and the bristles so thick, you would think it would invite brush marks.

Spraying is not an option. I'll be using Corona brushes, whatever the bristle.

Advertisement

davej77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 602

http://www.coronabrushes.com/corona/...245&seriesId=7

Works for me.

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,668

I personally like a softer brush for trim so my vote goes to the nylon poly.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,460

It's not so much interior vs. exterior, oil vs. latex in deciding between those 2 brush types - it's viscosity of the paint. Since you haven't said specifically what paint you'll be using, it's hard to say. Partly it's personal preference. As a general rule, with the more expensive, thicker paints you might like the Chinex better, and with thinner paints you might like the nylon/poly blend better. It's not really a huge deal either way.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
Since you haven't said specifically what paint you'll be using, it's hard to say...
I will be using the thicker, more expensive paint. Still haven't decided which one gives me the least trouble. Testing several.
davej77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

I used to use the chinex exclusively. But as I started trying to get a thicker coat of paint on,
I found the tyvec nylon coronas to work better because they are softer.
A lot of painters I know prefer a stiffer brush for better control. I feel I can get a thicker coat (better finish) with a softer brush, and good control can be achieved with practice.
A soft brush will "flair out" on you with a lot of continuous use and may need to be cleaned more often to keep its shape well.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #7

There are other factors to how much paint comes off - how big the "well" is in the brush, how well the paint releases from the bristles - so it's hard to isolate any single factor. A softer brush will actually put more bristle area in contact with the substrate, so it might appear or might actually be that more paint is applied. Another factor is temperature - a hot day outside with a thick paint that is thickening (drying) as you apply it, and bristles that are flexing like wet grass will have you begging for a stiffer brush.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

When you say gloss? How high a gloss are you trying to achieve? Note that some high gloss acrylics are not available in deeper colors---if that matters to you. You might have to back down to semi-gloss or switch to an oil-based product.

You might put Benjamin Moore High Gloss Impervex (not Impervo) waterbased enamel on your trial list. I had no reason to try it before more or less stopping to work but Advance is the new product from Ben Moore that is waterborne but leaves an alkyd film.

As for brushes, I would glance at the can for some clues. I do not know the brush brand you mentioned. I stuck pretty close to Purdy and Wooster through all the years.

I like adding a bit of Floetrol. Others like other brands of conditioner and leveler for slowing dry time just a bit and removing brush strokes.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I do not know the brush brand you mentioned. I stuck pretty close to Purdy and Wooster through all the years.
Of the Corona, Purdy and Wooster I've used, Wooster remains my favorite in general.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-24-2013)