Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Childrens Play Structure staining gone wrong

We have a 3 year old play structure I took it upon myself to refinish. I pressure washed it removing the surface stain that was on it, sanded the parts that were chewed up a little bit and began to apply an oil based stain. What I didn't do was make sure I was doing it right.

2 days after staining I decided to add a second coat as it appeared the first one soaked right in and I had color issues. I was using a redwood oil stain.

What I have now is a play structure that is about as sticky as can be. I have a bench with a puddle that no matter how much I scrub it down, I can't get it clean enough to sit on it. (I have tried paint thinner to rub it off but I get no where fast.) I just get a mess. I am so frustrated I don't know where to begin to fix what I messed up.

nobeginnerluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobeginnerluck View Post
We have a 3 year old play structure I took it upon myself to refinish. I pressure washed it removing the surface stain that was on it, sanded the parts that were chewed up a little bit and began to apply an oil based stain. What I didn't do was make sure I was doing it right.

2 days after staining I decided to add a second coat as it appeared the first one soaked right in and I had color issues. I was using a redwood oil stain.

What I have now is a play structure that is about as sticky as can be. I have a bench with a puddle that no matter how much I scrub it down, I can't get it clean enough to sit on it. (I have tried paint thinner to rub it off but I get no where fast.) I just get a mess. I am so frustrated I don't know where to begin to fix what I messed up.
Welcome to the forum. And let me guess, you didn't read the instructions on the can? It sounds to me like you put a second on a one coat system. Is winter coming where you are? It'll probably benefit you to leave it go for now. I can't say for sure, as oversaturated as it sounds, but the tackiness will go away in time. If it doesn't you may have to strip it.
What did you use in addition to pwashing? Did you use any cleaners, bleach, brighteners? That's probably the reason you had color issues, because using a powerwasher alone can "strip" the surface unevenly. It sounds like you need to stick close to us in the future. Not what you wanted to hear, but.
Joe

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Hi Joe,

That is exactly right, I didnt read the "1 coat is all you need" on the can. Opened it up and hit the ground running causing this headache.

I didnt use any cleaners. Just a light pressure washing and sanding of splintery areas. It isn 100% bad, just in areas of course where they need to grip on with their hands or sit on their butts of course. The roof looks great.

Oregon City, Oregon is where I am. Late summer but I was beginning to think you are right, just let it weather. I just hate to have that be my best solution. Stripping it I imagine will not be as fun either.
nobeginnerluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Can you send a pic?
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, stain, woodwork