Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2009, 07:55 PM   #1

Share |

Changing Paint Finish

After priming and painting my study, I realize that I don't like the satin finish because I can see the wall-compound repairs. Can I use a flat-finish paint on top of the satin finish without having to prime again?

Bliss7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:29 PM   #2

Changing Paint Finish

Yes you can.

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Changing Paint Finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
Yes you can.
I agree.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:36 AM   #4

Changing Paint Finish

I found if you use a decent primer to begin with you'll blend the texture differences of the drywall surface and mud very well. I've used Sherwin Williams Qualikote high-hide latex primer and achieved this. I could not achieve this result with cheaper stuff from stores like Home Depot regardless of what sheen of paint I used. A second coat changing sheen helped but still will yield similar results unpleasing to the eye. You'll also be very disappointed with flat paint. It scuffs very easy and the only fix is usually a repaint. It is rarely washable as well.
n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:23 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Changing Paint Finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliss7777 View Post
After priming and painting my study, I realize that I don't like the satin finish because I can see the wall-compound repairs. Can I use a flat-finish paint on top of the satin finish without having to prime again?

Or just put another coat of your satin on and the repairs should go away.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:52 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Changing Paint Finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0c7 View Post
You'll also be very disappointed with flat paint. It scuffs very easy and the only fix is usually a repaint. It is rarely washable as well.
Good quality flat latex is very washable and satin would not be a major improvement. Maybe when you get to eggshells and up in sheen to semis you pick up some ability to wipe them off---hence their preferred use in kitchens and baths. And I don't know what they did with the chemistry in Benjamin Moore Aura but the flat is amazing stuff. It is expensive but my clients---especially those with kids---really like it.

Last edited by user1007; 10-21-2009 at 11:37 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:15 AM   #7

Changing Paint Finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Good quality flat latex is very washable and satin would not be a major improvement. Maybe when you get to eggshells and up in sheen to semis you pick up some ability to wipe them off---hence there preferred use in kitchens and baths. And I don't know what they did with the chemistry in Benjamin Moore Aura but the flat is amazing stuff. It is expensive but my clients---especially those with kids---really like it.
Good to know. I've used Sherwin Williams and ICI Dulux flat's and both were a huge disappointment for durability and wash-ability.
n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:28 PM   #8

Changing Paint Finish

Some people just do not like shiney walls.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:57 PM   #9

Changing Paint Finish

Thanks so much for all your advice! I spent the better part of the day looking for a Benjamin Moore color in a rich red. The color I wanted, Heritage Red, is only available in exterior paint. They advised against using it inside because of the strong odor that can last a week. I remember using an exterior accent paint in the same room before, but I don't recall any problems with strong fumes. Is that really true? I went to Sherwin Williams and even to Home Depot to look at Ralph Lauren colors, but I ended up buying a Benjamin Moore Affinity color called Caliente. I was disappointed that all the red choices were either rosy, purplish, or leaning toward brick. The Heritage Red is a rich shade that is neither too bright nor too dusty. I've written Benjamin Moore with a request that they consider formulating Heritage Red for interiors. But as I think about it, I wish I had bought it anyway.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:59 PM   #10

Changing Paint Finish

And yes, I prefer flat or matte finishes. I find the gloss visually distracting. But I do like glossy on doors and trim.