Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #1

Share |

Changes at the Depot

Was in HD today and sure enough there was STIX a Benny Moore product and some concrete stain from BM. And they are replacing all their Purdy supplies with Wooster brushes and covers and supplies.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #2

Changes at the Depot

Toolseeker, they make take away your DIYChatroom card for your trips to HD, LOL. I have always liked Wooster products, especially the roller covers. I finally have learned to like Purdy brushes but still don't think their roller covers release paint very well. I do buy a lot of sundries at Lowe's or HD, even Menards because SW doesn't always carry ALL the painting supplies needed for a project. And, the Big Box stores are usually much cheaper on sundries, at least that has been my experience.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Changes at the Depot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Toolseeker, they make take away your DIYChatroom card for your trips to HD, LOL. I have always liked Wooster products, especially the roller covers. I finally have learned to like Purdy brushes but still don't think their roller covers release paint very well. I do buy a lot of sundries at Lowe's or HD, even Menards because SW doesn't always carry ALL the painting supplies needed for a project. And, the Big Box stores are usually much cheaper on sundries, at least that has been my experience.

Try one of these, you will never use another cover again
Attached Thumbnails
Changes at the Depot-ultrafinish1by2.jpg  
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #4

Changes at the Depot

Thanks Chris! Believe it or not, I have never seen those Purdy roller covers. I see the gold colored "eagle"? roller sleeves at SW and Lowes......but not those. Thanks for the heads up!
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

Changes at the Depot

My latest fav 9' cover ( after a lifetime of using Wooster Super fab) is Arrowworthy microfiber. Have to order from Paint Store on line but they are really nice. Wish they came in a 14"..
Old 12-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Changes at the Depot

"Ben" was to be entry into to Lowe's. I think.

I feel like flying to Portland and being reminded what real paint brush anatomy is about. Interesting Wooster cut a better deal than Purdy.

Maybe the change will make the stain blocker, primer and paint in one work out better.

Actually, most lemmings do not want to clean their brushes so will still buy the bag of 400, of all sizes never needed, for $5 on sale. DIYers never feel compelled to apologize for their work or the brush bristles stuck to the wall.

Last edited by user1007; 12-04-2012 at 08:58 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (12-05-2012), Jay 78 (12-13-2012), ToolSeeker (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 04:58 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Changes at the Depot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
My latest fav 9' cover ( after a lifetime of using Wooster Super fab) is Arrowworthy microfiber. Have to order from Paint Store on line but they are really nice. Wish they came in a 14"..

Try the Purdy one, it is microfiber and SW sells them, at least around here.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #8

Changes at the Depot

I was in the depot the other night and noticed they now carry a significant representation of the Sikkens line.
I share the disappointment with Purdy rollers, never cared for them. Just because you make a good brush doesn't make you a good applicator maker in general.
Also love the microfiber rollers. I rolled a low-luster (sort of satin), thinned out a bit, and it looked almost like a sprayed finish over new drywall. Also used a mini micro on a big spindle job. All I had to do was cut the top and bottoms of each and roll the rest. The micro went into all the turned recesses and left a great non-rolled looking finish. Made for real easy work.
Another favorite cover of mine is the Wooster Avalon. Great cover. Holds a ton of paint and lasts forever, and leaves a real nice finish. They require no de-linting prior to use and don't shed at all. You can wrap them up and take them from job to job they last that long. Don't pass an opportunity to check them out.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #9

Changes at the Depot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
OK I must confess there is 1 area of paint where HD excels. I do a lot of patching and repairs if I can take a sample about the size of a quarter in they can match the color perfect. I have even done it on white that has been on for years and you cannot see the patch. Then if it is a small patch you can get i of those $4 samples. Don't know about anyone else but this sure works for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #10

Changes at the Depot

I had a commercial painter who insisted on Purdy White Dove series for enamel work. Our company sells a micro-fiber roller with great success.

BTW: Purdy is now owned by S-W.
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Changes at the Depot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
OK I must confess there is 1 area of paint where HD excels. I do a lot of patching and repairs if I can take a sample about the size of a quarter in they can match the color perfect. I have even done it on white that has been on for years and you cannot see the patch. Then if it is a small patch you can get i of those $4 samples. Don't know about anyone else but this sure works for me.
My Ben Moore dealer had a state of the art color scanner. If I lost trust, I could send photos or pieces of paint to corporate overnight. The perfectly matched color code was transmitted to the store. I got it mixed in real paint. Never into BEHRly paint at all.

Never was able to make $4 samples work. My clients get large swatches if they want though. Tommorrow morning if needed.

Last edited by user1007; 12-05-2012 at 12:28 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #12

Changes at the Depot

My local SW is bad at matching samples and my BM is worse. And some of the $4 samples are Glidden.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #13

Changes at the Depot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Try one of these, you will never use another cover again
How do they compare to Purdy White Dove? I haven't used yours, but White Dove are my current favorite.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #14

Changes at the Depot

these are the roller covers i use and they are amazing! not sure if the states gets them or not. if you see one at your local paint store buy one and try them out.
http://www.jackpauhl.com/nour-aqua-g...us-microfiber/
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:37 AM   #15
paper hanger and painter

Changes at the Depot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
How do they compare to Purdy White Dove? I haven't used yours, but White Dove are my current favorite.

They will hold 2 or 3 times as much paint