Chalkboard Paint?! - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

chalkboard paint?!

Gotta say that I stare at this stuff almost any time I'm in the paint isle .

Any feedback on the chalkboard paints? Home depot had multiple colors when I went yesterday, I'm obsessing over a blue chalkboard in my garage, like 6'X4', sooo sweet!! Not really interested if it's not gonna, y'know, behave just like a chalkboard!!

Advertisement

joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

chalkboard paint?!

I work For HD. I myself have sold very few of the chalkboard product. I am considering an at home project for my garden when i am working with my plants. a small chalk board to help me keep up with crosses of plants. I sell mostly the premixed black at work

Advertisement

clmasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:28 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25
chalkboard paint?!

When I worked in the paint department at HD, I made a 4' x 10' chalkboard for displaying upcoming paint clinics. I primed some MDF and painted it with two coats of black chalkboard paint. It worked great! Better than I expected, actually. It stood up very well to repeated washings and above average wear and tear. Just be sure to read the directions before you use this stuff... I believe that you have to let it dry for at least 48 hours and then 'condition' it by covering the entire surface with chalk and wiping it off before writing on it.

Sounds like a cool project though... chalkboards always look best when they're big!
diy mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:29 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

chalkboard paint?!

I too, find myself staring at the chalk board paint in homesweethomedepot. I am about to remodel the kitchen, which has a pocket door between it and the dining room, and I think I'm finally going to take the plunge and chalk board the kitchen side. I think it'd be cool for writing the days menu and little notes, greetings, etc. on it. Thanks for bringing the topic up.
DepotDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:30 PM   #5

chalkboard paint?!

Ha! So we have a few thinking of going for it . Whoever sets one up first has to come back with a review and some pics .

Alright I think I'm gonna make the plunge soon, my garage is about to get an epoxy flooring, I'll try to take this on right after that. I'm thinking of doing a large, maybe 4X6 or 5X8, cool colored like green or blue. For the edge, hmmm, either just carve a line in the drywall to set it off, or maybe frame it if I've got some extra trim laying around.. which is almost always the case given how often I change my mind and re-buy a different variety lol
Old 03-09-2008, 03:37 PM   #6

chalkboard paint?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyboy View Post
Alright I think I'm gonna make the plunge soon, my garage is about to get an epoxy flooring, I'll try to take this on right after that. I'm thinking of doing a large, maybe 4X6 or 5X8, cool colored like green or blue. For the edge, hmmm, either just carve a line in the drywall to set it off, or maybe frame it if I've got some extra trim laying around.. which is almost always the case given how often I change my mind and re-buy a different variety lol
ummmmmmmm, there's a floor in the garage?
Old 03-11-2008, 08:57 PM   #7

chalkboard paint?!

heh? I'm sorry it's been a long day, I've got no idea what you mean
Old 03-11-2008, 08:57 PM   #8

chalkboard paint?!

(is that a joke from those older pics of my garage floor when it was a tie dyed paint mess? )
Old 03-12-2008, 07:55 AM   #9

chalkboard paint?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyboy View Post
(is that a joke from those older pics of my garage floor when it was a tie dyed paint mess? )

haha, no, never saw that, was just kidding cuz my garage is so packed i can't imagine bothering to paint the floor.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:20 PM   #10

chalkboard paint?!

alrighty, finally got'em up

They have standard black, and also allow tinting of ~10-15 available colors. We went with a real dark gray, think it was called graphite black or something along those lines.

Application was easy, performance (so far anyways) is awesome, no complaints at all. As far as durability, I wish it were tougher (not that it's excessively weak or anything), but I should note that I did *not* prime for this, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

(oh yeah, I haven't finished touchups so pardon the 95% completed job lol. Total project was maybe $20 for paint/chalk/eraser/etc, and I just used some liquid nails and a little metal tray for the chalk)
Attached Thumbnails
chalkboard paint?!-dscn2684.jpg   chalkboard paint?!-dscn2685.jpg  
Old 06-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #11

chalkboard paint?!

(and yes, those large over-painted lines were a horribly, horribly failed attempt by me to try for a fade effect, seemed like it would've been cool at the time. Coronas may've influenced said decision )
Old 09-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 528

chalkboard paint?!

i like how you were brave enough to try the faded effect. sometimes we just learn the hard way

here is a recent chalkboard paint project we did in our "vintage school room" loft!
ps. those two pictures are paintings my nan did. i'm glad we found a great spot to display them.

Knucklez
Old 09-30-2009, 10:35 PM   #13
Remodeler

chalkboard paint?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklez View Post
i like how you were brave enough to try the faded effect. sometimes we just learn the hard way

here is a recent chalkboard paint project we did in our "vintage school room" loft!
ps. those two pictures are paintings my nan did. i'm glad we found a great spot to display them.
Knucklez
Looks great! I think you and my wife have the same To Do list....
KlintP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 528

chalkboard paint?!

i feel sorry for your wife then, that's one LONG "to do" list. been just over 5 years to complete mine.. got another 4 months to go

Knucklez
Old 10-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #15
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 504

chalkboard paint?!

can this be used outdoors, i searched for some a while back, could only find interior use cb paint

Advertisement