Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #1

Share |

chair rail

Do I paint my wall first before I put up the chair rail...........don't laugh at me :-)

biggpinky@msn.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

chair rail

Not laughing! lol (oops) no really - good q

How are you finishing the rail?
I prefer to have all things installed that could cause repair to the wall first- then finish the trim, then the wall .
Some like to pre finish stuff like the rail - particularly if it is clear or stain/ sealed, and put it up after.
But if painted you will still need to caulk to the wall and fill nail holes- which is why I put it up first.

biggpinky@msn.c (08-19-2012)
Old 08-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #3

Thumbs up

chair rail

Love the emoticon!!!

You asked me how I am finishing my rail. I read on DIY to paint chair rail after it is up and somewhere else to paint it before........seems like before would be easier. I am finishing with white paint. I also saw in the demo that the chair rail was already painted...........can you buy them already painted? Don't laugh!!

Thanks for your response.
biggpinky@msn.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

chair rail

After you put it up- there will be a gap between it and the wall. For a tight "pro " look, that would be filled with paintable caulk, and also the nailholes filled, and both would need a coat on them. If you put it up and paint it , you don't have to be real clean ( sort of.. you know..) getting paint over on to the wall as you paint the rail, because when you paint the wall you can clean up that line.
After rail is done and dry a day , tape it off ( top side only if you have a steady hand, both if not - use safe tape or frog tape) and finish walls.
I find this the most complete way to do it.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

chair rail

I always finished the chair rail first too and in place. I did not use painter's tape but do what you need to for you skill level. Use a good angled sash brush whatever you do and your work will be easier.

You could prime the molding first and before putting it up if you wanted. I liked priming the caulk and nail holes too though.

Don't trust a factory primer or finish on trim or much else. They tend to use cheap material and spray it on at minimum thickness.

And chair rail is one trim where you do not ever want to use the faux foam stuff as it will ding up in no time.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote