Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #1

Share |

ceilings

What is the story on ceiling white paint? Is it more flat than typical flat paints? Any variety of BM or SW that I should consider?

As an option, I am thinking about painting the ceiling to match the walls.

Comments are appreciated!

7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:06 AM   #2

ceilings

I'm not sure if ceiling paint is more flat than regular flat paint, but I think it's usually thicker.

My favorite ceiling paint is the Benjamin Moore waterborne ceiling paint (not the Moresco, which would be my second choice). The BM waterborne ceiling paint is a very bright white, which I like for ceilings, it looks even a bit whiter than the Moresco. It's pretty thick and covers very well - I could almost get away with a single coat under one coat of primer over a previously painted colored celing. It hides well (my celings are far from pristine, but they look good with this stuff on them), and the only lap marks I got were when the AC was blowing over top of an area I was painting (my mistake not to turn the AC off when painting).

It was fairly expensive at about $34/gallon and I did get a little splatter when I rolled a full roller too fast, so you need to watch out for that. The guy at the store told me it was self priming as well, but I figured it would be better to prime anyway if for no other reason than the primer is less expensive.

The first ceiling paint I tried was SW Pro Classic 99 in their pure white base. I was surprised it wasn't as white as I hoped - looked a little gray and dingy to me. Going back to the store, they told me that was the brightest white they had, so that's when I tried the BM stuff and loved it.

BTW, I used Behr's ceiling paint before I knew what good paint was. There is a reason it is so inexpensive. Took me 3 coats and I could still see lap marks from my roller.

Motvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:26 AM   #3

ceilings

I think that's probably true, that some are made slightly thicker.

But adding a thickener ()for example a methylcellulose) to a paint increases the "weight" of a layer so a thicker paint may tend to sag more per unit layer than a thinner paint. I noticed that in a job we did with a Behr "Expressions" paint and reminded me of how we used to thicken solutions with pure salt...came out a gloppy kind of thickness that was not pleasant to work with...

However we just did a 1000 sqft ceiling with the same flat BM wall paint (called "ben" up here) that the customer wanted everywhere...light switches, chandelier chains, fire alarm, baseboards etc. No splatter, went on the way BM paints usually do, no problems.

So maybe other brands thicken up their ceiling paints a bit - but that almost suggests their wall paints are more 'runny'...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #4

ceilings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motvin View Post
I'm not sure if ceiling paint is more flat than regular flat paint, but I think it's usually thicker.

My favorite ceiling paint is the Benjamin Moore waterborne ceiling paint (not the Moresco, which would be my second choice). The BM waterborne ceiling paint is a very bright white, which I like for ceilings, it looks even a bit whiter than the Moresco. It's pretty thick and covers very well - I could almost get away with a single coat under one coat of primer over a previously painted colored celing. It hides well (my celings are far from pristine, but they look good with this stuff on them), and the only lap marks I got were when the AC was blowing over top of an area I was painting (my mistake not to turn the AC off when painting).

It was fairly expensive at about $34/gallon and I did get a little splatter when I rolled a full roller too fast, so you need to watch out for that. The guy at the store told me it was self priming as well, but I figured it would be better to prime anyway if for no other reason than the primer is less expensive.

The first ceiling paint I tried was SW Pro Classic 99 in their pure white base. I was surprised it wasn't as white as I hoped - looked a little gray and dingy to me. Going back to the store, they told me that was the brightest white they had, so that's when I tried the BM stuff and loved it.

BTW, I used Behr's ceiling paint before I knew what good paint was. There is a reason it is so inexpensive. Took me 3 coats and I could still see lap marks from my roller.
I haven't used the Benjamin Moore waterborne ceiling paint, but I have used Moresco too many times to count and it does the job great. It covers surprisingly well and at $25 a gallon I wouldn't use anything else. It also makes a good closet paint.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #5

ceilings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
I haven't used the Benjamin Moore waterborne ceiling paint, but I have used Moresco too many times to count and it does the job great. It covers surprisingly well and at $25 a gallon I wouldn't use anything else. It also makes a good closet paint.
The Moresco is really good - a close second for me. If it looked as bright a white as the BM waterborne, I would have stuck with Moresco, but the waterborne was slightly brighter, which is what I wanted. It would have saved me about $55 on my ceilings to stick with the Moresco over the waterborne.
Motvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:02 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

ceilings

chandelier chains?

now that is extreme!
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:21 AM   #7

ceilings

Yup, bathroom exhaust fan cover, light switches and plug covers, fire alarm cover like I said, the chains that connect the chandliers to the ceiling, the phone jacks, the bathroom walls, mirror frames, even the recessed lights - all flat white, Of course, most were done witha $6 can of flat white, made-for-plastics spray paint but it did look unique!

Her idea was to change sofa pillows, carpets and artwork according to the seasons. Light blues, yellows and greens in the summer to reds, browns and oranges in the fall - to who-knows-what this winter...

Up here the choices are flat white, dirty white and salty white. Sheesh!
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:37 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

ceilings

People are just strange. I had a client a few years ago have me paint every room in her house differen colors( like crayola crayon colors), red, yellow,orange,blue,green,purple very strange indeed.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote